Thread: A Kalahari Lion - The Real Deal

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Kalahari Lion - The Real Deal

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Everyone,

The past two days have been a little hectic in terms of work commitments so I did not get to do much PP work. But I would like to share something with you tonight - just one more Theme image, if I may.

Why another lion? I have always been fascinated with those Kalahari big boys, they are handsome and so powerful and truly majestic. Just take a look at the tufts of fur on this individual's belly, he is The Real Deal, don't you think?

As much as I would have liked to, I did not get to spend enough time with his male lion and his companion. It was my last day in the Park, 08:39 am and I had to make it in time to the gate so I only stopped briefly to capture a few images. Here is one...

Nikon D810
    Nikon 200-400F2.8 @145mm
    ISO 800
    F6.3
    1/2000s

Hope you all have a lovely evening, thank you so much for looking and for comments on my previous images
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - He certainly does look in his prime - strong and powerful. The road behind isn't the greatest but they do like to use the roads, as the paths of least resistance, to travel as well. He seems to be angled the slightest bit away from you. I would prefer if he was parallel or angled slightly toward you. If it were mine I would give the midtones just the slightest boost. Techs look good.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel,

Glad you like this big lion of mine:)

Nothing I could do about the road I am afraid, just grateful it is sand, not tar... By the way it had not been used for some days, in places there was just too much water even for my vehicle which is rather high off the ground.

Head angle...mmm...this is what he gave me...and rather briefly, I managed a few frames and then he turned around (the other way) and went to lie down next to his mate across the road.

Happy if anyone wants to do an RP with more midtone contrast for me, I personally felt I overdid it?

Will be back with more Rachel, thank you so much for looking and comments

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here you go. it's a very slight boost to the lion and even less to the bg.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel,

Thank you - I am viewing on my laptop and it looks good, I did not think I could push it further.

Not concerned with things looking " as they were" so I like your version more than mine. The lion is much paler in real life but your OP has more impact

Have a lovely week-end,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I like the setting and a nice contrast to you last lion posting set in the tall grasses. F/2.8 looks like an awesome lens, but I know you will love it, it will give you such flexibility, but if it had the 1.4 like Canon's well... .

Good to see you have got some tone in the FG and the water not washed out , the OP looks OK and yes probably very reflective of the time/location, but it does look flat. if you want to bring some life back in as you have the tonal range there then a slight tweak may bring a tad more sparkle back in???

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Steve,

On my laptop now but your RP looks good with lots of pop, will have another look on the big screen when I get home. And my apologies, just realised I wrote 200-400 F2.8. I meant 70-200 F2.8 The new 200-400 is F4, only arrived three weeks ago and busy testing it so at the back of my mind all the time, this is probably why I made the error with exif. Got myself a 2x converter but it is still in its box, next week-end it must come out, see what happens...

Have a lovely afternoon, thank you so much Steve:)

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, not much on the tweaks, plus I brought out some more depth & detail out in the FG & water, personal choice. BTW did not get any of you replies to my replies so apologies for the late reply.

D-Day starts tomorrow on the big 2017 renovations, lets hope internet is still up & running by close of play tomorrow!!!!
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 04-02-2017 at 11:58 AM.

9. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Gabriela, not much on the tweaks, plus I brought out some more depth & detail out in the FG & water, personal choice. BTW did not get any of you replies to my replies so apologies for the late reply.

D-Day starts tomorrow on the big 2017 renovations, lets hope internet is still up & running by close of play tomorrow!!!!
    No need for apologies for late reply, I see clearly you did not get my replies to your replies

I can tweak too, just was not sure how far I could push it

Thank you so much Steve, hope the renovations do not take too much of your time, and please make sure Internet is working because we need you around here!!!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea