Thread: Chillin': Brown Hare (UK) Lepus europeaus

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Chillin': Brown Hare (UK) Lepus europeaus

Attached Images Attached Images

We originally parked up besides this guy,stayed with him for ages, but he wasn't up for doing much. After getting him used to the shutter noise eventually he let me get out without bolting which enabled slightly closer image. Sadly the vegetation to the left prevented me shooting with the sun more at my back. Later he left the form and frankly we came almost face to face,I suppose 3M apart,but those images were marred by a forest of stems sadly. But an extremely cool moment for me to cherish. Lady luck has't smiled so far in my much longed for capture of our hares boxing, depsite efforts made I really thought we were in on sunday,but the three were more intent on food than making little hares sadly.

This is a bit unusual POV wise,these guys are chillin on this bank which catches the sun well,so i'm actually shooting HH off a drystone wall,rather than being on the floor,sometimes I'm actually shooting uphill,sort of strange really. i'm curious as to how you all perceive this one.

Shot in daylight ,it's around 4 30PM and sunny i've pulled the WB back to 5000K. I think this might just be a bit hot,blown hilights on the muzzle my main concern. Processed in DPP4,i'm happier with the colour this time. Full frame,ie not cropped,pondered the Dandelions (yellow flowers) took images framed to cut them out, as they might be distracting to some. But feel i'm cutting the hare in half so have decided to share this one instead

We actually had a fabulous weekend and a lovely couple of days,so nice to not be out in dull grey. Many many hare images taken ,but just not the two behaviours I so desparately want boxing and grooming. I fear the main event ie boxing is drifting away from me now ,but be that as it may We'll keep trying at every chance we get. We have so much to go at,things might change at the drop of a hat.

Thanks for all the help and comments on my previous posts here.
    Canon 1Div 300f2.8 ext iii 2x

1/1250
    f11
    iso 1600

take care

Stu
    Last edited by Stuart Philpott; 03-28-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu,

I think the point of view is fine. I agree that the dandelions on the right side are a bit distracting but not too bad. I think it helps that they're not in focus. A little more light on the eye would have been good, but sometimes the subjects don't cooperate. Here's hoping that you get the boxing picture soon!

Ken

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely exposed and focused. Colours look good but wondering if just a little yellow, I have taken the liberty of making an edit WDYT?

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Stu,

This little un' is very cute, so well concealed among vegetation...He probably thinks he is safe from your prying eyes. Or rather...lens!

I agree with Ken above, POV is good. Subject well positioned within the frame. I would sharpen the head of the hare a bit more if I were you. I personally feel the leaves are a little overpowering but such is his environment, this is his "home". Not much you could about it, other than stalk the poor chap until he moved to a clearing?

Stu, my eyes tend to move from the subject to the yellow flowers to the large leaves in the left corner... You could get closer (crop), I think the IQ would take it. But then you loose the "bigger picture", which is probably what you wanted in the first place. Or you could work a bit on the FG and vegetation at the top, perhaps reduce saturation and/or contrast selectively to put a slight 3D feel into the frame. I would also reduce the yellows a bit on the flowers in the upper right corner. Small touches here and there could make a difference.

Let us see what everyone says. Meanwhile, you be persistent with these hares and you will get the images you wanted. It takes practice and sometimes "stalking", LOL. Always a pleasure to see your images and I love your enthusiasm and love for those creatures, Stu

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu I like to see them hunkered down like this in fact you did well to spot it,so well done on that.Agree with just a tad more sharping.

Cheers Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken thank you,pov bothered me because the bank sort of makes it artificial,ha ha it's probably me buddy,I need to suffer for my art I guess by having a dirty nose.

In all seriousness I want confirmation from others Ken that what I feel I am seeing is being conveyed in the image. these guys are a little tiny bit more bold with people than is usual. they can be curious Ken this one was. but they put a field between a potential threat in seconds.they are my best chance of getting lucky.

the flowers at least were thought on

thanks Ken very kind

stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu - It's nice to see something a little different and I don't remember seeing an image of a hare in all this vegetation. Nice low pov. I like Jon's rp. I do agree that the hare needs a bit more sharpening. Where was the fp? My first impression was that the foliage was sharper than the hare.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Hello Stu,

This little un' is very cute, so well concealed among vegetation...He probably thinks he is safe from your prying eyes. Or rather...lens!

I agree with Ken above, POV is good. Subject well positioned within the frame. I would sharpen the head of the hare a bit more if I were you. I personally feel the leaves are a little overpowering but such is his environment, this is his "home". Not much you could about it, other than stalk the poor chap until he moved to a clearing?

Stu, my eyes tend to move from the subject to the yellow flowers to the large leaves in the left corner... You could get closer (crop), I think the IQ would take it. But then you loose the "bigger picture", which is probably what you wanted in the first place. Or you could work a bit on the FG and vegetation at the top, perhaps reduce saturation and/or contrast selectively to put a slight 3D feel into the frame. I would also reduce the yellows a bit on the flowers in the upper right corner. Small touches here and there could make a difference.

Let us see what everyone says. Meanwhile, you be persistent with these hares and you will get the images you wanted. It takes practice and sometimes "stalking", LOL. Always a pleasure to see your images and I love your enthusiasm and love for those creatures, Stu

Kind regards,
    Hiya Gabby, thanks so much for your time,sorry slow in reply,I dare say i'll have nipped out during this post,we just need a smattering of luck now Gabby. Maybe I will get lucky maybe i'll have to wait another year,but all the time I'm learning not only how to make images,but also about my subjects. Sure I yearn for certain chances,but if they don't come it won't be the end of the world .I do adore them ,many here will never have seen one Gabby yet they hold some sway in our folklore. This particular guy came the closest I have been to one so far,I have a snap to remember that taken through so much vegetation,it was so special as above ,i'll cherish that for a long long time.

It's good grafting for something Gabby and it not being easy to achieve . I've never been given things the easy way I don't really think that happens oft in wildlife anyway ,so yes persistence will be my lot,the journey is important.

Gabby with regards to the framing and those flowers essentially I framed like this to allow for the rear of the hare that we can't see ,but know is there,a bit like we do with legs and feet that are often hidden by vegetation. Would you have framed this differently because of those flowers, which takes precident the virtual body or flowers?

Cheers for the detailed thoughts on the frame Gabriela,these small touches that you think about are gold to me. Sure I can't really implement,but they make me think,question the choices made and hopefully take a bit forwards Working on the bkg selectively hasn't really occured to me or that move towards lowering contrast and sat in the farther reaches of the frame,totally logical to me,exactly what one perceives but it hadn't ever occurred that one might do this.

Huge thanks,hope you are good mate

best always

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by keith mitchell View Post
    Stu I like to see them hunkered down like this in fact you did well to spot it,so well done on that.Agree with just a tad more sharping.

Cheers Keith.
    Keith cheers for the time,having a ball with them buddy. I know they are there mate,at least two forms on this bank,spotting is therefore relatively easy,but we develop an eye for them don't we mate.

Buddy tell me you are well please,can't help being me mate

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Stu - It's nice to see something a little different and I don't remember seeing an image of a hare in all this vegetation. Nice low pov. I like Jon's rp. I do agree that the hare needs a bit more sharpening. Where was the fp? My first impression was that the foliage was sharper than the hare.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Hey Rachel, thanks for the words. I feel they set up forms (does that translate ,I'm not educated as to your native hares habits' a form is a safe place they rest in, a haven if you like) where they do,for what ever reason. the veggies might or might not grow around them. Maybe I've just got lucky presenting something a little different to you,maybe most of us just simply wouldn't see this hare in a few weeks time.
    Active focal point completely frames the eye Rachel.It was very windy mate,those leaves were bouncing around all over the place if that helps with your assessment at all.

massive thanks Rache,

stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, seems you and Jon have the 'Golden' touch with the Hares, but both of you providing different approaches to presenting this species which is nice, i.e. close up, or interaction.

Techs look good and the DoF was a good call. The angle gives a clear line of sight to the subject, but as an alternative I would have liked to see one even lower down. We know the kit is sharp, so I think it's the same old issue about sharpening for presentation. I do find the yellow flower a bit distracting and the OOF leaf to the LHS, perhaps if this isn't too big a crop you could go tighter? I think you could also open the Shadows up a fraction more.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Stu, seems you and Jon have the 'Golden' touch with the Hares, but both of you providing different approaches to presenting this species which is nice, i.e. close up, or interaction.

Techs look good and the DoF was a good call. The angle gives a clear line of sight to the subject, but as an alternative I would have liked to see one even lower down. We know the kit is sharp, so I think it's the same old issue about sharpening for presentation. I do find the yellow flower a bit distracting and the OOF leaf to the LHS, perhaps if this isn't too big a crop you could go tighter? I think you could also open the Shadows up a fraction more.

TFS
    Steve
    Sorry slow buddy,thanks for the reply and edit,frame as posted is not cropped. Steve I pondered the flowers is primary reason for crop the dandeloins if so then I have an alternative. No options for lower Steve,but that might come in time. I finally met the landowner last night,he was taken with my passion for his hares it seems, and I hopefully will be able to access some of these fields soon. Jon's producing some incredible hare images at the moment,he's a hard act to follow,i'm so chuffed for him. Cool notes on the shadows i'll watch for this.

More to come a bit of bad luck cost me a brilliant chance of my boxing hares sadly yesterday. But the big ol guy dozing then falling asleep and almost rolling over had us in stitches,so all was not lost

Many thanks Steve

Stu