Thread: Joy

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Joy

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken in the Timbavati Game Reserve, South Africa. This youngster seemed to be in a playful mood. I would have preferred if it came out into the light a bit more. Unfortunately mom continued walking and blocked the youngster after this.

Canon 5D3
    70-200 II @ 190mm
    1/1500
    f6.7
    ISO 800
    HH from safari vehicle, slight crop for comp, levels, curves, color adjustments, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice details the shallow DO has kept the background muted.
    Is there a slight green cast on the adult elephant?

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dearest Rachel,

A tender moment, the little ellie seems happy and playful indeed:) I like what you captured and this is a lovely behavioural frame - but I really wish there was a bit more light on the young ellie's face.

Composition is great and I agree with Jon, your choice of DOF is spot-on. Colours are fine for me and I do not see a green cast. I suppose if there was one, it would be visible on the young ellie as well?

Thank you so much for sharing, it gives me joy to see our wildlife happy and care free. Sadly, we lost a great number of animals in the area to poachers over the past few weeks and the mood is sombre around here. Dehorning is taking place to protect certain species, sadly we have to mutilate them to protect them.

Warnest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel,

I really like the way the mom's leg and trunk frame the little one. I agree with you that a little more light on the juvenile's face would have been preferable, but overall it's really nice.

Ken

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon, Gabriela and Ken, much appreciated. Jon - I think the colors are accurate but will take another look.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel we all want the perfect shot,it is what drives us to learn and try again. Naturally ickle ele's face being shaded is the first thing one picks up on. But the expression on that little guy's face is so aluring and special,it is joy Rache,well certainly it brought me joy.

I love this mate, it is an image that makes the heart sing,
    I'm sort of leaning towards Jon's slight green cast,but I don't know the subject in the wild,but it does appear to me aswell.

Great frame mate,brought something special too me tonight notes on DOF dwelt upon

take care

Stu

10. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- I really liked this image , reminds me a great deal about my trip to africa and especially the elephants of amboseli as i too witnessed such lovely moments. I liked the framing and the play of light and shadows , though i wish the lighting was reversed with the little one getting the sunlight .

TFS !

12. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, like the framing and the emerging calf with it's playful trunk, but it's a shame you didn't have better light and the calf wasn't in so much shade. With the calf & Mom so close I feel that you needed far more DoF, as Mum is just a fraction OOF which is a crying shame IMHO. You had plenty of ISO to play with and I do feel the image would have benefitted from additional DoF. I also agree with Jon, in that the image does have a slight cast to it, but an easy fix.

TFS
    Steve

14. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post