Thread: Wandoo.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wandoo.

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Guys

A couple of Wandoo (White gum) I though worth a shot. Wandoo trees are common locally, their timber is a wonderful hard dense wood that is often used for flooring and locally for fence posts as White ants (termites) don't attack the wood past the sap wood as its core is too hard. Like the last post these tree are visible from the back yard although I drove down the road a little to get closer in this case. This is also a composite shot with the clouds from that evening (from separate shots) re positioned behind the trees in this image. I have stitched 3 shots together to get the image in the 2.5:1 format I wanted at a reasonable resolution. Required because the 1D4 only has a 16MB sensor...

canon 1D4 and 500 F4 lens on tripod
    1/2500 sec @ F4, ISO 320

FG is 3 images stitched, BG clouds added which is also 3 image stitch from the same evening. Levels set and converted in ACR to Tiff and then final image stitched & merged in CS6. Please feel free to comment...!

DON

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Exquisite! The side light on the trees and the clouds is amazing. The panorama works really well, here, too, even though there is 'nothing' in the FG on the LHS; the clouds fill in that role. It is interesting to know about the property of the Wandoo trunk! Do you still get the wood to be treated (chemically) before using it as flooring (e.g.)?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice surreal element to this creation Don.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely done Don. I can foresee you sharing images of these trees again and again as they make a great subjects being on a slight hill allowing them to be framed against the sky. The pano capture here suits this scene very nicely. On future images of these trees can you position yourself a little further to the left so that the trees don't merge...I think seeing a little separation between the two trees would add even more impact to the scene. Nice work!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice Don, well balance with the dark clouds on the right balancing the trees
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Guys.. I was happy with this as well, but wanted to capture real clouds behind the tree and not have a composite picture. This was an exercise to see if it the wait would be worth it and how I might compose the 'real one' some time in the future. I took the grandson for a walk last night to check out if an alternative comp with the trees isolated exists, it will be tight but possible I think. Again I am shooting over the top of a fence line and a road to a hill a good 500m inside someones property. I don't automatically have the right to jump the fence so there is restricted access...

DON

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great simplicity here Don, and I really like the pastel yet saturated tones in this.
    Light worked well in your favour, good call on the pano presentation.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE