Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/2000
    Av(Aperture Value) 8.0
    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
    Exposure Compensation +2/3
    ISO Speed 1000
    Auto ISO Speed ON
    Lens EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +2x III
    DPP 4.6 & PSCC

A little more colour and contrast than my previous hare which was taken the same day. Hope you like it.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good morning to you Jon,
    This is awesome, superb action captured

Nice techs, this is well exposed and the hares "pop". Well framed and composed and the colours are great. Beautiful detail and sharpness.

You made my day with this - I really enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon i'm so so thrilled for you. 1000mm wow. Great action captured so tricky to get Utterly inspiring. Had to post briefly on seeing. Jon but am rushing to get out on our own quest so just a quick note. I just knew you were going to get this this year is it your first boxing image?

As with Gabriealla made my week mate seeing this

Stunning !!!

stu

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you liked it Stu - will post some more. I got hares boxing a few years back with my 7D and 500mm Mk1 but it is a different ball game with the 1DX and 500mm MK11 & 2xTC III. I have to admit it is quite a bit easier also there is so much less noise.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - An image, that like Gabriela's squirrels, brings a smile to the face. Nice action and I really like that we get both a frontal and dorsal view. Good control of the whites. There's one brighter blade of grass near the top, straight up from the ear of the one facing us. I would tame it if were mine.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Jon, that's far better in terms of colour, although I just feel I would have a tad less to the left and more 'negative' to the right. Think you can afford more SS 1/3200 with little difference to the ISO, as these guys (yes I know they are not both males) move quickly. Having the RH hare with the head more visible would have been better.

There's one brighter blade of grass near the top, straight up from the ear of the one facing us. I would tame it if were mine.
    Rachel I think it would be more visible in doing so, Jon a sliver off the top would address things without hurting the image and avoids cloning. Might be the laptop but I might brighten the grass for a 'richer' look????

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel and Steve, missed that blade but have to admit I did remove a couple of others!.
    Colours Steve - yes it your lap top!
    No only kidding, I like your version, I like mine and on this occasion I prefer mine - semantics really but I think mine is a little closer to reality...but it was a few days and couple of glasses of wine ago so who knows?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, no problem but had to say, as you never know.... , but do you have any more image content to the right as per my RP????

but it was a few days and couple of glasses of wine ago so who knows?
    BTW - only a couple?????

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve the image is a crop so there is room all around, I will look into it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon your Hares look excellent,great boxing pose you caught them in.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon this a great boxing scene .. i think , never tried it bit i guess not easy to achieve , so big congrats just for getting the shot.
    I think overall you have nice colors and tones in your OP .... as a personal note ( when using Fine detail ) i would drop the oranges by -3 and the reds -1,5 ( within DPP ) as this picture style does push the orange/red component a tiny bit too strong for my taste .
    A tiny bit less exposure would not hurt ....or drop the gamma a tiny bit in DPP for a bit more tonal depth , all a matter of taste for sure .
    I am not 100 % on the crop ....but think i would try a 7X5 to retain the height but loose some of the sides .
    Steve has covered the techs well i think .... just push that ISO !!!!!! you gain more SS and more DOF and IQ when using the 2x TC .... i think F 9 is a must when using this TC even if better than the MK II

Overall a very nice frame ....good work Jon

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

i think F 9 is a must when using this TC even if better than the MK II
    Perhaps Andreas, but on the 200-400 I feel f/8 is the sweet spot, but the biggest different is being able to move the AF points on the MKII with the 2x which is a huge asset.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much Keith glad you liked it.
    Andreas yes I noted the colour shift with Fine Detail I has made some adjustments to other images using the Fine Tune but will try using Color Adjustment.
    I deleted and removed settings, at first try the associated sharpening/Unsharp mask were retained by the Camera settings in DPP then they went all over the place. Not too sure if my new computer is a little unwell as the mouse and keyboard are sometimes rather sluggish too. DPP is often "Not Responding" and sometimes PS is slow.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Perhaps Andreas, but on the 200-400 I feel f/8 is the sweet spot, but the biggest different is being able to move the AF points on the MKII with the 2x which is a huge asset.
    Steve yes I take your point concerning quality but I would suggest any aberrations are going to be more discernible at the edges/periphery of the frame and when using the 2x the subject will be in the centre of the frame for most instances because it is usually smaller. It is also for this reason I would not die in a ditch of movable AF points - yes it is more convenient but I can live without it and if necessary use focus lock.