Thread: Red Tailed Hawk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Tailed Hawk

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,

Here is a red tailed hawk from NJ, taken about ~40 minutes after sunrise. I would have liked to get all the light to my back to avoid the shadow, but this particular park / area you have to stay on the trail (lest you end up in a ditch), so didn't have a choice, but I like the direct stare here. In post, did some levels and white balance adjustment to warm the image as well as some sharpening. I tried to lighten up the shadows a bit but hopefully didn't overdo it. This is pretty much full frame.

Camera: Nikon D3300
    Lens: 200-500mm f/5.6 at 500mm
    Specs: 1/1000 ISO 360 f/5.6

Thanks for looking!
    Alex

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I understand your predicament about the light angle and no opportunity to go for better angle, but it still works well enough. Well exposed, sharp. I do wish you had taken this as a vertical though as the frame seems tight top and bottom - did you take any in that orientation?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Dan -- I also wish I had taken this one vertical. I have a couple vertical shots but none that have a direct head on stare or that great a shooting angle in my opinion. Here is one of the better ones with a quick edit. Specs here were: f/13 ISO 400 SS 1/200. Thanks!