Thread: For Steve

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default For Steve

Attached Images Attached Images

...If only to show you how intense his stare, how beautiful his eyes, and how awesome his presence.

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 2000
    F8
    1/2500s
    Metering mode: pattern
    Time: H08:28 am
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, lovely gaze to camera and the DoF looks perfect, with a good depth from nose to the eyes. I'm unsure of the crop, as I feel the eyes need to be more left of centre, (if that makes sense), as I have the feeling the head is moving out of frame, as it's more to the right??????? I might try to 'burn' some of the white chin to bring some more tone/detail back in. I wonder if you added the 1.4 (Nikon equivalent) and moved back, whether it may have given you a lower POV, that's the beauty of long lens, as you can't achieve it with short ones. You might like to add a vignette to pull more focus?

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

There are some elements of this one that I really like - the fairly low perspective, the stare, the details around the face. You can feel the sheer power of him just by the look we're getting.

However, I think 2 small adjustments wold have made it even stronger. The first is similar to Steves thought above in that he needs to be a little further over to the left in the frame to balance the shout out a bit better. The second was at the time of shooting, and may not have been possible with the environment, but if you could have bee just a few inches over to your left you would have lost the grass stalks in the bottom corner.

Still a very good shot though

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela i bet you loved it to get the guy looking at you .....Mrs Lion !!!
    Gorgeous look into the camera and you have a very nice overall tone and color palette , the right amount of contrast , perfect DOF and loads of details .
    A typical Gabriela .....
    I do agree with Steve on the crop ....but not a great deal breaker .
    Very nice work .... keep them coming .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

Glad I got the DOF right, it has been an issue for some time but on this trip I remembered.

This is a tight crop so I will try explore different options, let me see what I can do. I guess no need to burn the whites if I start afresh, I might have gone overboard with my tweaks - will check. And I have not used the 1.4 in a long time, after a few trials I gave up as my images looked soft despite calibration. Got myself a 2x converter this month, have not tried it yet.

Mmm...vignette - I might need your help here?

Warmest regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Gabriela, lovely gaze to camera and the DoF looks perfect, with a good depth from nose to the eyes. I'm unsure of the crop, as I feel the eyes need to be more left of centre, (if that makes sense), as I have the feeling the head is moving out of frame, as it's more to the right??????? I might try to 'burn' some of the white chin to bring some more tone/detail back in. I wonder if you added the 1.4 (Nikon equivalent) and moved back, whether it may have given you a lower POV, that's the beauty of long lens, as you can't achieve it with short ones. You might like to add a vignette to pull more focus?

TFS
    Steve
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you dear Mike and Andreas,

Mrs. Lion is very grateful for your feedback!

I do have more options in terms of crop, which I will certainly explore...tomorrow.

Mike, few inches to the left would have landed me and my Landcruiser in a big hole filled with water...This is the best I could do, given the circumstances. Grass was indeed a nuisance, not used to it in the Kalahari. I was waiting for a breeze to bend those blades in the right direction so I could shoot:) Eh, why do best sightings always pose so many challenges?

Andreas... I will keep them coming Boetie, you just give me feedback

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful animal and image !! I agree if you could move the eyes more to the left of centre it would improve however I think it would then make the overall image too tight. For me its lovely as is

8. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - yes, a good look at those eyes and stare. You have made the most of a flat cat. Excellent suggestions above about the comp and the whites of the chin. Sharpness and colors look good. Dof spot on.

TFS,
    Rachel

10. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Basil and Rachel,

Sorry to get back to you so late, I was hoping to post an RP but did not get to do it yet.
    I really appreciate your time to look and comment

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea