Thread: Doesn't need to be exotic!!!!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Doesn't need to be exotic!!!!

Attached Images Attached Images

Often I wonder if people get put off in posting because of the exotic subjects posted and so great to see folk recently posting some 'non' exotic species like bunnies, so here is a Grey Squirrel to add to the mix.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Grey Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 16-35mm f/2.8 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/2500s at f/8 ISO4000
    Original format: Portrait, slight crop, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I bet you lens got wet! He must have been pretty darned close - makes for a powerful image being that close. I like the colours and texture in the fur.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Good to remind everyone that we welcome images of all animals except domestic pets and farm animals. I like the pov, inquisitive, in your face pose and the tail up. I wish it wasn't clipped on the rhs and also find the fence in the bg very distracting with the light hitting it.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I wish it wasn't clipped on the rhs and also find the fence in the bg very distracting with the light hitting it.
    Can't do anything with that Rachel sadly, it's what it is and there is enough OOF/diffused for me. Clipped paw also isn't an issue as it's the head that grabs the focus/attention to me. When you are talking about centimetres in relation to subject and lens it's hard to concentrate on everything. For me it's about focus and ensuring the subject is sharp, with the ISO maintaining a good SS to get the capture and not allowing things to slip away.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I couldn't agree more about it being nice to see more non-exotics, I find the more everyday subjects make you work and think harder.

I always like close focus wide angle frames, and the pose here is nice, along with the colours in the leaves. However, for me, the light angle has killed this one, particularly with the large shadow. I think this one really needed the sun over your shoulder to work.

Mike

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

I needed a new, cheerful screen saver and I think I found it, thank you

This frame has great impact and those man-made elements it contains do not spoil my aesthetic enjoyment:) Its beauty lies in the expression you have captured from the subject as well as its proximity to your lens.

Great POV, love the colours/ warmth, pose is superb.

I might raise you a squirrel image tonight, just for fun! Busy doing an RP for my lion, this might take me a while...

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... i agree an exotic subject only does not make good photograph .... makes it maybe easier to get attention . I guess it is harder to create good stuff from local wildlife ... depending where one lives .
    I really love this wide angle shot , stunning low POV and it just works as presented . Lovely colors and crazy good detail where it should be .....
    As the previous shot from that encounter ....i just wish that metal fence was not there !!!!

Very cool that you created that series ...

TFS Andreas