Thread: Hungry Lioness

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hungry Lioness

Attached Images Attached Images

I thought I would join Gabriela and Steve with their recent lion posts. This is one of the lionesses of the Hollywood Pride in South Luangwa N.P., Zambia. The pride took down the buffalo in the middle of the night and then spent almost 3 days feasting on it.

Canon 5D3
    100-400 II @ 400mm
    1/500
    f5.6
    ISO 1600
    Beanbag from safari vehicle, slight crop for comp, levels, curves, color adjustments, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the aperture was well chosen isolating the head.
    I may be wrong but I get the impression the image is a little short on contrast, perhaps a little more pop??

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, a nice encounter and good to see a member of the Hollywood pride too.

I like the eye contact and I feel you did well to avoid the eye being obstructed by the two hairs of the buff. I find the paw a bit disjointed as it's hidden from the lionesses body, as it plays a key element in the image, especially with the claws being visible, moving to the right may have helped here? Perhaps also by moving more to the right the lioness may have hidden the elephant dung which does draw the eye, but the fly should go, it just looks like a mark and is too small to play any significant roll IMHO, note the light blue fly on the leg. Personal taste, but I feel I want to move the whole crop right so a bit less carcass and to have the whole of the front leg and hoof showing. I would look, if you have time in having a bit more tonal depth and form from the carcass body itself. Agree with Jon on the DoF and the isolation aspect, but feel a bit more SS would not have hurt, I think you need to trade in your 5D3 now, also if the 300 is the MK1, sadly it's no longer supported by Canon having made enquiries for Stu last year, so be careful.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon and Steve. Steve - those are the lion's own whiskers being pushed up towards the eye. I am perfectly happy with the 5D3 and will not be trading it in. Also, my 300 is the II version.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am perfectly happy with the 5D3 and will not be trading it in.
    That's fine, just think that you will miss out with any new glass you plan for the future with that body and the better Dynamics/ISO capability of the new bodies launched, especially when shooting in low light conditions.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel,

Looks like you and Steve have more lion images than me - I thought I was the lion queen

To me this frame is all about the eyes and that "mean" look you have captured from the subject. If it belonged to me I would have liked to get closer to the lioness and her magnificent eyes, for this reason I would have cropped tighter. DOF is great, happy with the colours/ tonality, sharpness is there in good measure. As much I would like the dung in the upper right corner to go, I do realise it balances the image somehow...

An interesting image Rachel and I really took my time to look and think about it - thank you so much for sharing. Minutes ago I returned from a trip into the Game Reserve where I found two male lions recently imported from the Kalahari. They were on a kill, snarling and growling at each other, half hidden in high grass. I could not take any images. I sat there for almost an hour waiting for an opportunity that never came, yet happy to be near them and once again so taken with their exotic and somewhat violent beauty.

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel i really like the look of the lioness as Gabriela does , i too think the crop is too loose and you lost a bit of that intensity that is on that face .
    Overall the colors and tones do look very nice and no need for more contrast from my POV .
    Nice intense moment ...captured .

TFS Andreas

9. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice "don't come any closer" eyes here Rachel, can see the crop dilemma here, but feel you've done about the best here, shame about the ele droppings, but as they say s..t happens!

TFS

11. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, Andreas and Marc for the comments and suggestions, much appreciated.