Default Brown hare

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon EOS-1D X
    Canon 500mm f4 L IS II & 2x TC III
    Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/2000
    Av (Aperture Value) 8.0
    Exposure Compensation 0.666667
    Auto ISO Speed 1000

It started as a bad hare day, my local venue near the cemetery did not yield any hares whatsoever. We went to another location and saw one, managed to get a few distant shots and it ran off. Then we went to another field containing a small copse where we had had some luck last year. Sure enough there were four of them. A bit distant at first so a few safety shots were taken with silent mode. Then because the wind was blowing in my face I decided to risk fast shutter setting. We had some difficulties in the wind keeping the lenses still, my friend decided to go for the tripods, I said what if they get spooked, he thought worth the risk. Whilst he went for the tripods I got action.... more to follow.
    (My pal returned with the tripods, by which time the action had stopped, two had ran away and the other two decided to hunker down.)
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 03-24-2017 at 03:24 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It started as a bad hare day
    Hi Jon, best change your Barber , glad we got that out the way, old but gold .

Firstly, I would have popped the 1.4 on, as I feel it's a little lost in frame. Also I'm not a real lover of looking down, I feel you waned to be far lower for a better POV, with some nice OOF grass in the FG.

I decided to risk fast shutter setting.
    Where is the 'risk', I would have gone to this or 1/2500 straight away otherwise you are in fear of having lovely 'soft' images. The light appears bright, but flat if you know what I mean, i.e. shot middy so there isn't much 'colour' to prove the richness I would like to see. Hope you have more encounters soon.

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry on reflection a few typos.. I used 2 x TC agree no risk I had the risk of my pal missing action in mind when typing! Following images are larger in frame, just thought a little space would not go amiss on this one.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Good action pose and I like how the whiskers show against the green grass. Agree a lower pov and a bit bigger in frame would be better but understand they weren't particularly cooperative. Colors and tones look good. Looking forward to more.

TFS,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Jon,

Such a fun image, I am absolutely delighted and so amused by the surprised look from this Hare:)

Jon, would you consider a tighter crop for more impact? Colours look good, I think I would like more "pop" but I could be wrong, do not know the species. Took the liberty to do an RP - see what you think, I might be way off... I am really guessing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ...well i do really like the award looking pose of the hare .....i do also think colors and tones do look good .
    I do see two major " issues " for me , the crop is a bit loose and i do miss fine detail in the subject .It might be down to the kit and settings , as i think you needed more SS and stopped down to F 9 or 10 for better IQ . I do also agree with Steve regarding the POV .... but understand that is not always possible to achieve and many times we have to take what mother nature has to offer .

So go back .... belly in the dirt and hope for the best ....

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for taking the time Gabriela, I think your version is cute and visually pleasing. The trouble is I keep asking myself do I want to present pretty much what I saw or do I wish to make it as visually pleasing as possible - without going too far from reality that is. I have to confess my answer is not consistent but I am swinging more towards reality.
    I have been messing about with differing camera settings, I used to use "Standard" for most images then I modified it slightly and now for these hares I have gone on to "Neutral" as the starting point. All images are different and to be perfectly honest we do not have a perfect recollection of how things were when captured (it might be a little presumptive when I say "we") but having said that I lke you version and if I had not been there I would say yes that's good. I was there however and taking into account my powers of recollection I think mine is pretty close.
    I sense Andreas And Steve are wriggling saying something like make the capture flat and gradually build it up.....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Jon ...well i do really like the award looking pose of the hare .....i do also think colors and tones do look good .
    I do see two major " issues " for me , the crop is a bit loose and i do miss fine detail in the subject .It might be down to the kit and settings , as i think you needed more SS and stopped down to F 9 or 10 for better IQ . I do also agree with Steve regarding the POV .... but understand that is not always possible to achieve and many times we have to take what mother nature has to offer .

So go back .... belly in the dirt and hope for the best ....

TFS Andreas
    Cheers Andreas, I was back today - and with my belly in the dirt - you would have been proud! Only got a stretching pose.. but I shall return!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was back today - and with my belly in the dirt - you would have been proud!
    No gain without pain Jon and it's all organic, next time try fish guts & bear poo!!!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    No gain without pain Jon and it's all organic, next time try fish guts & bear poo!!!!
    Hmmm think I will give that a miss Steve, one has appearances to maintain!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

I took some time thinking about what you said above, because it interests me. Been wondering about "visually pleasing" versus "what the photographer saw". Or thinks he saw...This is a dilemma we all have, or had to deal with. I always try to bear in mind that the images my cameras produce depend - to a great extent - on me, the operator behind them. Take any given number of photographers, all present at the same scene and shooting with the same gear: each and one of their RAW images will look slightly different, all because of techs. I am not talking about POV or HA here. I really think a well exposed image is a good start. In terms of colour, reality is somewhat difficult - if not impossible - to establish, as we all see things differently. This is where our audience comes in and screams for more "pop" or " midtone contrast" or simply complains about colour casts:)

Regarding options available in LR under "camera calibration": I use "flat" for my D5 images and "neutral" for my D4. Both take away contrast and colour to a great degree. Steve once said to me that once I do that, the image becomes "flat as a pancake" - such a good description! I admit I sometimes struggle with white balance but I never give up. The real challenge is to bring back the colours, and to enhance them to a degree that pleases my audience. How far I go, is entirely up to me...

I am sitting here at my desk tonight, miles away from my beloved Kalahari and trying to process an image of a lion taken a month ago. Not quite sure how far I must push things, my memory of colour is rather weak. I remember following my subject relentlessly to imprison its movements but eventually got lost on the way, the mood was one of intolerable suspense and I forgot to check the histogram. What is important to me, is that my images grab you. Had I taken those frames for myself I would not bother to share, your feedback is important and I keep trying this and that until everyone is satisfied. I too have no perfect recollection of what there was? But with every RP I feel I am getting closer to reality - which is sometimes a mix of complementary colours and other times a mix of vivid, primary, contrasting ones. I like to see with your eyes, rather than mine - does that make sense to you?

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Dear Jon,

I took some time thinking about what you said above, because it interests me. Been wondering about "visually pleasing" versus "what the photographer saw". Or thinks he saw...This is a dilemma we all have, or had to deal with. I always try to bear in mind that the images my cameras produce depend - to a great extent - on me, the operator behind them. Take any given number of photographers, all present at the same scene and shooting with the same gear: each and one of their RAW images will look slightly different, all because of techs. I am not talking about POV or HA here. I really think a well exposed image is a good start. In terms of colour, reality is somewhat difficult - if not impossible - to establish, as we all see things differently. This is where our audience comes in and screams for more "pop" or " midtone contrast" or simply complains about colour casts:)

Regarding options available in LR under "camera calibration": I use "flat" for my D5 images and "neutral" for my D4. Both take away contrast and colour to a great degree. Steve once said to me that once I do that, the image becomes "flat as a pancake" - such a good description! I admit I sometimes struggle with white balance but I never give up. The real challenge is to bring back the colours, and to enhance them to a degree that pleases my audience. How far I go, is entirely up to me...

I am sitting here at my desk tonight, miles away from my beloved Kalahari and trying to process an image of a lion taken a month ago. Not quite sure how far I must push things, my memory of colour is rather weak. I remember following my subject relentlessly to imprison its movements but eventually got lost on the way, the mood was one of intolerable suspense and I forgot to check the histogram. What is important to me, is that my images grab you. Had I taken those frames for myself I would not bother to share, your feedback is important and I keep trying this and that until everyone is satisfied. I too have no perfect recollection of what there was? But with every RP I feel I am getting closer to reality - which is sometimes a mix of complementary colours and other times a mix of vivid, primary, contrasting ones. I like to see with your eyes, rather than mine - does that make sense to you?

Warmest regards,
    Makes perfect sense to me Gabriela, I agree with your sentiments entirely. It is a bit of is bummer though when you think you have it just right, you're satisfied, you post it ....and someone makes a repost ...and that really does look a lot better!! All part of the fun I guess, some you win some you lose.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon? I felt I already won when I saw people looking at my posts and getting back to me with a crit, or advice. I won when they read my stories and loved my characters. It is all about the animals, and not me. I will never know enough and I accept that. But I keep trying. I love to capture mood, emotion, love to grab your attention. I share my passion and respect for wildlife - this is what matters. So no bummer...Happy when you correct my mistakes. The only way for me to learn. I am sometimes stubborn when I think I am right, but I stand to be corrected, LOL. Part of the fun, yes Keep posting please, and let us keep talking - it is what makes this Forum so special!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon,

I love the pose and the expression on the hare's face. I do prefer the tighter crop that others have suggested. I also enjoyed the discussion in this thread. The "do I want to present pretty much what I saw or do I wish to make it as visually pleasing as possible" question is something I struggle with as well. The conversation here is helpful.

Ken

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ken I am pleased this has been informative or useful.