Thread: Hawk ID and C&C

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hawk ID and C&C

Hello all,

Out at Coyote Hill Regional Park here in Northern California again yesterday.
    Mostly out shooting Swallows - but this fella came along. Sadly, was checking exposure and looked up with him already upon me so I missed a few approach shots.
    Sun was to his face but I was to his left unfortunately, still this was the best of the bunch I think. Crop trying give a sense of high flight.
    Settings: 1/3200 (swallows remember :), f5.6, 300mm on D500 so 450mm equiv. ISO 180
    TIA.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay,

welcome to the critique forum!

This is not a hawk, it's a female northern harrier. I have shot in CHR quite a few times myself, it can be quite challenging as the birds are often too far and not approachable. The harrier had already passed you here, a few moments earlier would have been ideal. The details look soft to me maybe because of too much cropping or a soft focus. The composition is a bit awkward with too much empty space below the harrier, a horizontal crop works better here. you had good light and I really like the dark clouds in the BG with the warm light on the harrier showing her pretty plumage

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh my, a response from a master! Just sent you an email by board with a question on your NR guide. LOVE YOUR WORK. Thanks for the feedback. Yes, kicked myself for spending too much time checking my shots of swallows and missed the harrier coming my way (thanks for the ID). Man, if you are ever headed back to CHR let me know. Would love to meet you.