Thread: Tree Swallows - What to do?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Avian Tree Swallows - What to do?

This shot was taken in the afternoon golden hour. These Tree Swallows are starting to nest in man-made houses and man are these little guys fast! Try as I might I can't find a setting that works for me. With higher speeds, I freeze the action but against the sky I'm getting it makes them look like paper cutouts pasted onto a blue background. With slower speeds I don't get sharp images (not that this is sharp as I'd like).

I'm heading back out today for another golden hour trial. Also plan to change lenses - using a D500 I was shooting with Tamron's G2 150-600. Today I'll use the Nikon 300 PF f4 I'm more accustomed to.

Anyhow, this shot had some activity going on that I liked but to me it looks like cutouts. Setting were: 1/3200s, f5.6, at 150mm resulting in ISO 180.

Thanks for suggestions. I call this one "I've got your back" as the "mom"? is looking back and the "dad"? is fending off another... cheers

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, that is because of 2 things your DOF and Contrast, the background is soft because of your depth of field and the high contrast between the birds and sky.
    Try shooting at f/8 for sharper images but the birds popping off the BG is fine, you cans also slow down the shutter speed a bit to get a little wing blur and they won't look so cutout as you put it.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Tim. The kind of specifics I'm looking for. I'll give that a try. Today's tree swallow run was largely dry but will be back out shortly.