Thread: Thirsty Lioness

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Thirsty Lioness

Attached Images Attached Images

This is one of the females I spent almost 5 days with in Botswana, (the pride consisting of two females and seven cubs, three older, four only a few months old), but all in prime condition. We had to gamble where to position the jeep as often things do not go according to plan at the best of times. I was still messing around with the AF micro adjustment out in the field, this time it was bang on thank goodness!!!! Taken towards the end of the afternoon in some nice light.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Lioness (Panthera leo) drinking late afternoon
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/1250s at f/5.6 ISO800 (should have gone for 1/2000)
    Original format: Portrait, minimal crop, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

You probably know by now, I am partial to close-ups and truly appreciate an intimate portrait of a lion. Or lioness, in this case... Been looking at your exif, trying to figure out what was on your mind at the time. You say you wished for higher SS - is it because of tongue movement, or you felt there wasn't as much detail as you would have liked? In terms of DOF I think you made a wise compromise - surely you could have gone for more, but perhaps saw the need to isolate the lioness from a relatively busy BG - kindly elaborate?

Great POV, the light is beautiful and the subject's eyes mesmerising, comp works for me 100%. I am just wondering what goes through this lioness' mind - impossible to tell... I lately discovered that lions prefer to avoid humans and for some reason they cooly evade our stare. In other words, they would rather not to look at all. With each refusal on their part I feel more frustrated and turned down... just my thoughts tonight:)
    A thought provoking image - thank you Steve, enjoyed viewing, very much

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - I quite like these frame-fillers too. You handled the mixed light well and sharpness does look perfect. I suppose in an ideal world the bit of paw would not be visible but by no means a deal breaker. Looking forward to seeing some of the cubs (hint, hint).

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I will try to answer your thoughts/questions.

You say you wished for higher SS - is it because of tongue movement, or you felt there wasn't as much detail as you would have liked?
    Mainly because of the tongue, it moves very quickly and I wanted to freeze the action and reduce as any slight movement whilst HH. ISO was low so I could have easily gone to 1/2500. Also because of the way I set the camera up, I might have easily dialled in a setting which invariantly may have changed the SS without noticing it???

In terms of DOF I think you made a wise compromise
    I sometimes (when time allows) use the DOF preview, but often will just dial in what I think is right

I am just wondering what goes through this lioness
    Without looking through a lens, but just when they look directly at you, I feel the stare just goes right through me, but sometimes question - do they really see a person? With this particular female a few day later I did grab her attention, distance was very close and I think she saw her reflection in the 500, for a moment it was a little tense, so absorbed at looking through the view finder I did not realise until my friend & ranger gently tapped me on the shoulder and suggested I slowly lower the lens, all was good.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,
    I am happy with your reply, thank you so muchAnd I believe lions do see a person, they are intelligent enough. I had a youngster gnaw at my bean bag on this last trip and he was looking right into my eyes when he opened his mouth. He read my intention to smack him and backed off, LOL. But it was too late, my arm was already out of the window. I am sure your lioness saw her reflection in the 500...in which case she must have thought there was another lioness present, ouch.

Let us have more images please, Steve?

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ..yes this is a very nice frame filler .
    I very much like the overall warm colors and soft tones you created , well handled side lighting .The detail is there ...but expected when the author is you ...so the output level is high .
    The tongue touching the water is a nice addition ....but i am mostly fascinated by the detail in her right eye !!!!!
    Do you have another frame where the tongue is curled up forward and maybe some flying water droplets ?

Always a pleasure to look at the tonal range and colors in your images .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Do you have another frame where the tongue is curled up forward and maybe some flying water droplets ?
    If only, that would be the 'money' shot.

Thanks for the kind words.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gun fire would have helped with the money shot .....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gun fire would have helped with the money shot .....
    Or just a more cooperative Lioness.