Thread: Comments on high-use 1Dx (1million shutter count!)

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Comments on high-use 1Dx (1million shutter count!)

I have seen for sale on a dealer website a 1Dx with 1million shutter count (! confirmed) with the shutter having been replaced twice, the latest on earlier this year through CPS. Condition is described as 'good overall' showing some signs of wear.

Apart from the shutter, is there anything else that would be potentially problematic with such a camera? I know these things are built to last and it sounds tempting...

Thank you any comments.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike, I think you could find a better body. If it comes with a FULL Canon service history then perhaps, but the actuations do seem high and to replace the shutter twice, well?????

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The shutter is one thing to be concerned with, but with over a million clicks, I'd
    also be worried about everything else inside the camera. The body might be good
    overall, but the electronics inside?

To me its a crap shoot. Even if you could get it at a great price, which I suspect should
    be $1500 or under, if it breaks, the money you used to fix it could've went toward
    another 1dx with a lower shutter count..or even a newer camera.

Also look at it this way....lets say they're asking $1500...you can get a used 1DX for
    around $2000, if not lower with a shutter count, probably in the area of 150-200k...
    if not lower.

Doug

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for your comments. I have decided t pass but the points made hold well for considering any high-use body.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hitchen View Post
    I have seen for sale on a dealer website a 1Dx with 1million shutter count (! confirmed) with the shutter having been replaced twice, the latest on earlier this year through CPS. Condition is described as 'good overall' showing some signs of wear.

Apart from the shutter, is there anything else that would be potentially problematic with such a camera? I know these things are built to last and it sounds tempting...

Thank you any comments.
    Other than the shutter unit there other mechahical parts, like the mirrorbox unit. Also, all the buttons and dials can be subjected to wear.

Clearly, it is a matter of priorities. With a used body there is always the risk of failure due to wear or bad use: for this reason the shutter count is not so relevant, to me, in particular if there is no warranty on the camera. It is way more important to evaluate the overall status, even if in most of the cases you must restrict to some external inspection and other basic checks.

So, personally, I would consider the camera ONLY if the price is particularly low (1200 usd, for example), and after checking personally its status.

However, as I said before, it is a matter of priorities. Since I am not a professional, I prefer to pay less, and take some risks concerning the failure of the equipment (which, anyway, can be repaired in a relatively short amount of time, since I am a CPS member): for other people, an equipment failure and the consequent missing shots could represent a significant problem...

If you need reliability, I suggest to consider a new body, or even a refurbished unit. The online store of Canon USA has several offers: sadly, in Europe there is no such service...