Thread: Not Just Another Lion

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Not Just Another Lion

Attached Images Attached Images

While travelling through the Kalahari I always keep in mind there are creatures living there whom most people typically ignore. Some drive around looking only for predators. They barely register the smaller things with the corner of their eyes, having no appreciation whatsoever of why those little living things are there or what they are up to. Such were my concerns on this particular morning, as I decided to go looking for Striped Mice, Whistling Rats, Tree Rats, hoping to come across a snake or two. I was in fact looking for beauty in any form. Eventually I became so focused on scanning for small spoor in the sand that I drove past a male lion relaxing on the side of the road...Moments later he started roaring, this stopped me dead in my tracks and contributed a reason to turn off the engine. I drew my camera out of the window as fast as I could...

When I speak of witnessing a lion roaring at close quarters I can find few adequate single words to describe how it feels. The sense of awe one experiences as a spectator is pretty amazing, it is no coincidence that others describe it as a thunder to the chest. I am so sorry you cannot hear him... But here he is, calling among tall grasses, eyes half closed to glorious morning light!

My thoughts right now? No land I ever visited has been more satisfying than my Kalahari. If I had only known this place at the age of twenty four when I arrived in Africa, I would not be where I am right now. True, it is photography that opened my eyes. And as I learn to paint with light, I am beginning to see certain aspects of the natural world more clearly. It almost feels as if I am learning its secrets. I do not believe that photographers had managed to capture everything there is to see, there is so much more. And I just cannot wait to return to my sunny place.

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mm F2.8
    ISO 1600
    F10
    1/1600s

Full frame. Processed in LR as well as PSCC. Thank you so much for viewing, as well as for taking the time to read my story.
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great picture Garbiela, really evocative. I wonder if a wee bit more space would give a sense of roaring into the wilderness, I don't know.

My wishlist of countries (which never decreases) is built more around things I want to experience than things I want to see (does that make sense) and having close experience of a lion giving a full-on roar in the wild is one of them. Few people I have spoken to have been able to describe it without getting lost for words so you are not alone.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabby I grew up in a small seaside town,more specifically most of that childhood was spent in the woods of that town or the zoo. The two areas are both owned by the governing body of the zoo. My evening backdrop while out finding foxes and badgers bats and dragonflies and much else was always this above. Not in any way the same as wild lions,but to a small boy teaching himself about nature a bewildering sound.

So in some small way I understand, what you mean. As although this wasn't close,or even a wild lion,to a lad in love with nature,with that vivid imagination kids have, that backdrop was haunting at the very least. Sorry slightly off topic but a way of painting a degree of understanding from someone who only reads about Africa

Folks here stand waiting for special owls,when they have amazing but maybe more ordinary fare at hand they don't see, have no wish to even try to capture...WEIRD. I'm not surpirsed by your opening words,although I would have been before starting this. I thought any wildlife tog would be besotted by everything in nature,sure we all have our little favourites,or big ones "Beauty in any form "that is lovely Gabby !!

To your picture Gabby is he missing teeth, canines?? An incredibly powerful capture,poignant for that child above ie me. I love the light dancing on the top of his head, I like the grasses,especially the ligh ones falling over his dark mane but am a bit unsure on the graases around the muzzle area. Beatifully handled back light Gabby.

Mate thanks for this,if it means anything he sends shivers down my spine and takes me right back to my first blue eyed fox cub, as a child,sort of strange really but true

thank you

stu

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, a cool capture and I very much like the habitat, something different. I also like the diagonal HA emphasising the bellow, would have been nice first thing with some breath. Good call on pushing the DoF here, techs look good too. You can imaging the deep, booming bellow coming out of that chest and reverberating around as he calls out.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Yes, a lion roar at close quarters is something that is almost indescribable. It both reverberates and resonates, almost rattling one's bones. I like this somewhat different pose with the head tilted mid-roar and the mouth slightly open. The visible canines add to the image for me. I am sure the beautiful soft morning tones of the light and grasses were quite a setting for the loud roar. Techs look good.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Mike, Stu, Steve and Rachel:)

Mike, this is FF. I like to get close. Had I allowed more space there would have been too much vegetation around the subject. Which - to my mind - would have taken away the intimacy I was seeking. Just another lion in the grass:)

Of course it makes sense, the desire to experience. To me this translates into camping in remote places and having a one-on-one with my subjects. Which is more difficult to achieve these days, and takes a lot of effort and planning...

Stu, my boy is not missing any teeth, I assure you, all just a matter of head angle!

And Steve, I too would have loved that "breath". In fact I thought about it while processing. But in the summer it is so hot there... I must go back in the winter. So glad you liked this, I am ecstatic

Thank you too Rachel, appreciate your kind words. Been promising you this lion for some time now, not sure what to post next?

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ....lucky you .
    Lovely overall frame ... with a killer pose and i can almost hear him roar in my head !!!!!
    very intense moment i bet , always a great experience to hear that sound .
    Like the FG grasses and the nice separation to the BG .Special is that the green Kalahari Lion is so unique in terms of the green setting ... well for me .I have seen the Kalahari one time that green .....and no sunshine at all in 2 weeks time .

I have two things i might change if this was mine ... drop the exp by 0,3 , but mask out the darks and change the overall yellow appearance to a more orange /red at very low % .

Still a really nice frame i would like to see in my collection ...

Cheers and TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas,

And thank you so much for your comments as well as suggestions - I will certainly try them

Do you remember we had that lion roaring at Kij Kij in our face? This was just as special and intense but very brief:)

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, must be fantastic to witness this in the wild at this kind of distance. You've done this boy credit with your shot, nice timing and even though the lighting was tough, you've got great details where they count. A very nice frame.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you from the heart, Mike. I will not try describe this to you, you have to experience it
    Gabriela Plesea