Thread: Southern California Bunny

Hybrid View

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Southern California Bunny

A bunny near my workplace, UC San Diego Geisel Library. Shot on a 7DMII, 100-400 L IS II, f5.6, 1/1000, ISO 400 handheld as the light fell in the late afternoon with fog coming in from the sea. The gray swath in the background is a path, wish it was a clear field. Also wish I had a bit more light to work with. Thanks for checking it out.
    Name:  33120375030_8921a07c83_b.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  179.3 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roger this is a lovely little fella,I so love seeing leporids from elsewhere,)i'm in UK. Beautifully caught love the white under the nose,it's almost an inquisitive face love the slight head turn. Pain about the path,these things are always sent to try us. Cool pov I'd like a bit more under his feet if you have it Roger.

Cheers for posting a joy to see as above

take care

Stu

3. Thanks Roger Smith thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Roger, I'm currently away, again, so using the laptop which is not ideal, but I will make a stab, but hopefully others will chime in.

I might open the exposure by a third of a stop and drop the Contrast a fraction
    Also up the WB to a slightly warmer value
    Dropping the Blue will help in the whites
    Depending on your ethics, I would remove the piece of wood in the FG
    It's helpful to say if this is cropped or FF, if cropped then a sliver more above and some more below wouldn't hurt. I would also like to see the subject a bit more to the right with more 'negative' space to the LHS.

The footpath is distracting and in your own critic, having a green backdrop would have certainly been better. Like the low POV and the techs look good with a reasonable SS for HH.

With regard to the © I might drop the opacity slightly so it's less 'eye catching'.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

fantastic feedback Steve and I'm going to pull the RAW and try all these. I think the crop might be fixed as the subject actually turned toward me and closed distance, filling the frame, but I'll see if I can add a little room underneath. Again, many thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Roger - Steve has covered the critique very well. Very nice low pov. I would prefer more room both above and below. The path is very unfortunate. You might try toning it down a bit. In addition to the other points Steve made about the WB, blues and contrast, there's a little bit of magenta coming through on the path and on the side of the bunny. Looking forward to more.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

thanks again everyone. I do prefer the edited warmer, brighter image.
    Name:  33347783282_b7966f8851_b.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  300.6 KB

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Roger,

Awesome bunny and I like the quizzical look on his face - well captured!

Great POV indeed. Nice and sharp, good techs. I agree, the path in the BG is unfortunate, at times we are so taken with the subject that we do not see such things:)

The RP with more space at the bottom of the image certainly works for me. It is also a great improvement in terms of colour, although a tad too warm overall IMO.

Thank you so much for sharing, this little fella brought a smile to my face. Make sure you keep your camera handy when at work, will you? I would really love to see more

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Roger, I think you may have done a tad too far, plus if you have added any saturation. Your best bet is to get a more 'balance' looking image first of all, then make any necessary changes to the colour via the 'Colour Management' within whichever Raw converter you use. Things like Vibrance or Saturation should be used with a light hand.

Roger this is less than ideal, but may give some direction to my thoughts. I took the liberty of adding some to the LHS & remove the bit of wood, .

Cheers
    Steve

10. Thanks Roger Smith thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

agreed Steve, this is super helpful, many thanks!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Roger, working with any posting is never ideal as you have to take in account adjustments to correct thing first, so you never really get to where you need to be, unless you use the original.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Roger a cute bunny with a typical yet interesting pose with good eye contact . Lovely low POV .
    Lots been said about the colors ...so i would go into Steve´s directions , but i would keep the grass greener and less yellow ....personal pref .
    I think the crop should be a bit wider in height , as i feel the bunny does look a bit cramped in the frame .

Nevertheless a cute frame .

TFS Andreas