Thread: Rufous-tailed Hummingbird

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rufous-tailed Hummingbird

Attached Images Attached Images

I just returned from a great one week vacation in Costa Rica with many great images.

This photo was taken without the use of multiflash or setup. I took it handheld with natural light, flower and BG in a backyard of a house near the Laguna Del Lagarto Lodge.

D750 | 300mm f2.8 w/ 1.4x TC
    f/4 | 1/1600s | ISO 1250 | No Flash
    Last edited by Raybel Robles; 03-20-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

A very simple and beautiful image. I really like the composition and the birds wing position all set off against a really nice background. The bird looks over exposed and too light to me. Rufous-tailed Hummingbirds are a darker and richer green and the tail is more pronounced. When seen in decent light they have a sheen to them as well that I am not getting from this picture. Also the highlights and the pink flowers had many spots that were at 255.

I did the following to this image:

Selected the bird and in levels I lowered the black and the mid tones and then raised the whites slightly. Added a bit of saturation and contrast to the bird only. Ran detail extractor at 25% opacity to make bring out those deep and rich colors more and then sharpened the bird at .3 and 70% to give it a bit more pop.

Then I made a new layer and burned the flowers and stem at 30% opacity and 30% hardness. Then ran NR on the background to make the stem and bird jump out a bit more. Thoughts?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac,

This worked well, thank you so much for the explanation of the step by step.