Thread: Red Legged Honey Creeper

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red Legged Honey Creeper

Another frame from my recent trip to costa rica with a wider perspective. Hope you like it.

I have also taken to Instagram lately and loving it there, follow me here for daily updates - https://www.instagram.com/supreet.sahoo

In case you are interested to know about my upcoming trips to Costa Rica (and South America) click here - https://www.supreetsahoo.com/costarica2017

Canon EOS 5D Mark III EF600mm f/4L IS II USM lens 600mm f/6.7 1/1000s 1000 ISO 0.0 EV

Name:  2Y1A3403.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  339.2 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Supreet, I absolutely love this photo. That's an incredibly beautiful little bird, and I think the way you've made it small in the frame with lots of reference points with which to judge the scale of the bird, really works in this image. One could wish the bird to be positioned slightly to the right to be away from the yellow flower behind, but I really don't think it matters as the color contrast of the blues is so strong against the other tones in the image anyway - the bird just stands out. A great environmental image as well, for me I can't find much to be picky on at all with this one. Nice job!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A really beautiful shot, love the colours and composition. The light looks like there is good backlight and front light.
    I sometimes think it might be a good idea to have a less than absolutely ideal background. I do not wish to detract from a beautiful image but I look and sometimes say to myself "its perfect.. but too perfect, is it natural"?
    I have no doubt that if slight imperfections were apparent then suggestions would be offered to correct them, just food for thought, I would be interested to read your views on this aspect.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon. Very interesting thoughts and yes i do agree with them. In a lot of situations when I see a completely bland bg it bothers me, it really does. One thing i have to say here is that i do not believe in changing bgs in PP (not sure if thats what you are referring to) and strongly condemn that practice, whats the point of spending so much on gear otherwise one would think.

If you are talking about nice even bgs in natural settings then yes, thats something i try to achieve by positioning myself appropriately with distant bgs with multiple layers of foliage to give it a natural look. Hope that adds context to your thoughts.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Seymour View Post
    Hi Supreet, I absolutely love this photo. That's an incredibly beautiful little bird, and I think the way you've made it small in the frame with lots of reference points with which to judge the scale of the bird, really works in this image. One could wish the bird to be positioned slightly to the right to be away from the yellow flower behind, but I really don't think it matters as the color contrast of the blues is so strong against the other tones in the image anyway - the bird just stands out. A great environmental image as well, for me I can't find much to be picky on at all with this one. Nice job!
    Thanks David :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fab looking frame. Even without the bird, that perch looks awesome. I like how the bird is small in frame, and my eyes are drawn immediately to it, because of those beautiful colours.

Very well done Supreet, good work.

Will

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A shot full of contrasting colours - maybe the blues on the bird are a little too saturated?
    I agree with David how having the bird small in the frame sets it nicely against the environment. And I often have the same thoughts as Jonathan about having some level of detail in the background to show it is in front of some real foliage but that does not detract from what is a very pleasing image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This image is out of this world!!! Congratulations.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Supreet, Lovely image as noted above. I am curious. Was this bird coming in for food? Did you set up the perch?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arthur. Thats exactly what happened. This was a setup with the birds coming in for food.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW. That is what I figured as the perch is so beautiful. You might wish to soften your stand on image cleanup. You wrote:

"One thing i have to say here is that i do not believe in changing backgrounds (sic) in PP and strongly condemn that practice."

Many folks would not consider attracting birds to a beautiful perch at a feeder set-up to be 100% natural :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    YAW. That is what I figured as the perch is so beautiful. You might wish to soften your stand on image cleanup. You wrote:

"One thing i have to say here is that i do not believe in changing backgrounds (sic) in PP and strongly condemn that practice."

Many folks would not consider attracting birds to a beautiful perch at a feeder set-up to be 100% natural :)

with love, artie
    "One thing i have to say here is that i do not believe in changing backgrounds (sic) in PP and strongly condemn that practice." - That's soft! (lol)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Note sure what you mean above but many would condemn feeder set-ups. Not me.

with love, artie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Note sure what you mean above but many would condemn feeder set-ups. Not me.

with love, artie