Thread: San Diego Orange-crowned Warbler

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default San Diego Orange-crowned Warbler

Name:  A37U5899.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  283.7 KB

Took my first bird-photography-specific adventure in some years - to San Diego this February. This was a bit of a grab shot (while shooting Cali Scrub Jays & Cali Towhees) - but was pretty happy with how it turned out. It opened my eyes as to why "western" OCWA are brighter green than eastern birds (note the similarity between this common native shrub & the bird!). Would be keen to see what others think of it.

I've also been writing little "my take on this hotspot" posts on my website - https://www.peregrineprints.com/journal/ - which I thought may be interesting for some people - compared to the extremely detailed/experienced takes that exist for some of these places.

Happy Shooting!

Brandon

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Comp

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Brandon and welcome to BPN! Nice first post and I definitely do see that they match the native plant very well. I can see why you chose this comp but the bird is pretty centered so I posted a comp that I envisioned. Also the heavy shadow on the bird isn't very pleasing but not much you could have done.
    Look forward to more from your San Diego adventure.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brandon:

I agree with David's comments, esp. the crop/composition.

The color match between bird and foliage is remarkable.

Be sure to include your shooting/equip details with the image, it helps us understand its creation better.

Look forward to more.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think if you would have composed along the lines David suggests, but with the bird as small as in the OP, than that would have been the ideal. I like how you have it small as it makes it look like another leaf form the bush it was perched in. I like the effect of the oof leaves. Bummer about that shadow but it is what it is.