Thread: Northern Harrier

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Harrier

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,

Here is a northern harrier from NJ. In post, I cropped about 25% off, did some levels and white balance adjustment to warm the image as well as some sharpening. Also did some light noise reduction on the background. This is a bit smaller in frame than usual but I liked the setting. This was in the afternoon on a relatively overcast day so I think there was a bit of shimmer in the air.

Camera: Nikon D500
    Lens: 200-500mm f/5.6 at 500mm
    Specs: 1/800 ISO 720 f/5.6

Thanks for looking!
    Alex

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I like seeing raptors in their habitat just as much as a good close up. And I love harriers and still do not have a proper image of one so nice job. I think the image is flat and a bit washed out and think the bird is lacking in fine feather details. Also think it lacks a bit of pops so did the following

Added Contrat +7
    Added Saturation +10
    Wanted to give the image more of the feeling of the bird being in front of more golden foliage to applied the NIK sunlight filter at 25% opacity
    Applied NIK Detail Extractor at 25% and tonal contrast at 25% as well to the whole image
    Ran noise reduction on the background
    Ran additional sharpening of the bird at .5 and 100%

Bird might be slightly over sharpened now but just wanted to show that it should have a bit more detail. Of course this is always best done on the original.

3. Thanks Alex Becker thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much Isaac! Looking at the repost I agree that I need more pop and sharpening here. I like what you've done with this image -- I'll go back to the original and try to go through what you've implemented here. Thanks again!