Thread: Great gray at sunset

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great gray at sunset

Name:  Great Gray-4364.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  269.4 KB

A friend and I made the drive from NY to NH on Sunday to photograph this great gray owl. It spend about 3 hours actively hunting in the afternoon and we got a number of shots of it on different perches as well as in flight and successfully catching at least two voles. This was at the very end of the day during the last few minutes of light.

1DXII, 600mm f4 IS II, 1/1600, f4, ISO 1250, processed in LR CC

Threads
    Thank You Posts

you got a great HA but the side light and the perch leaves much to be desired. Maybe brighten the eyes a tad as they are a bit lost

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arash, I agree with you regarding the perch, it would not have been my first choice but it's the one the owl chose at this point in time. Most of the available perches in the field were similar 4x4 fence posts but some of them were more weathered and had wooden fence rails close to the top which I think would have benefited the image, those would have been preferable. I disagree strongly regarding the sidelight, that was the whole point of this frame. Rest assured, I have plenty of other images of this owl with the sun directly at my back; that just wasn't the intent here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the way you have done this in light that was not ideal ,it's nice to see this Owl in the sort of light we often find them and can be a challenge to get them right, I think you have in this case.Take your point about the perch but sometimes after trying very hard to get a shot we are so grateful for whatever they choose to sit on,this is the sort of shot that really appeals to me,well done getting it.
    Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't mind the side light, and I like the fact that the piercing eyes are quite visible. But the perch definitely detracts from the image. i'd like to see some of the other frames.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The light works very well for me here, but as others (and yourself) have stated the perch is not ideal. Sounds like it was well worth the drive!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here you go Doug. I'm sure some people will still object to this being a man made perch (I'd prefer natural myself), but I liked this fence much better than the naked 4x4. 1DXII, 600mm f4 IS II, 1/3200, f/4, ISO 400

Name:  Great Gray-3372.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  304.7 KB

And a flight shot. 1DXII, 600mm f4 IS II, 1/3200, f/4, ISO 1000

Name:  Great Gray-4219.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  326.0 KB