Default Moose at Gros Ventre

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held, Canon EOS-1D X
    Canon 100-400 L IS II
    Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/640
    Av (Aperture Value) 5.6
    Exposure Compensation 0.333333
    ISO Speed 1250

This was an experience I would never - just magic, it sounds pretty obvious but they are BIG, I am used to red deer which are fairy big but they are tiny tots compared to these boys.
    The light was problematic but I tried to make the best of it.
    All C&C welcome.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

The light is indeed magic here and vegetation/ colours just superb - from the deepest greens to those golden yellows and some reds in-between, this looks like a page from a story book. Love the water splash:)

There are elements in this image I cannot quite understand, they occur on the RHS of the frame and just behind the subject, stretching to the edge - not sure what they are and I find them a bit distracting?

Subject well placed within the frame, a little underexposed though. I feel the SS is barely there for a subject in motion, you could have achieved finer detail on the Moose had you pushed ISO a bit, what do you think?

I see clearly what grabbed you at this scene, dear Jon. I too love the feel, mood, the atmosphere you have captured. Thank you so much for sharing.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, not much to manoeuvre on regarding the DoF, having the 70-200f/2.8 may have helped on separation and shooting wide open as I feel the image is quite busy. The FG especially the RHS is too busy with OOF branches for me. Agree with Gabriela on SS, just too conservative on the ISO, easily could have gone to 2500 for more SS as the subject was moving. Any frames after the Moose got to the land? I'm not sure in having all the reflection in helps, perhaps an inch off the foot, or just above your sign off, trimming on the right angle of the leg???

TFS
    Steve

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Splendid animal and autumn colours too Jon. I do agree that the out of focus branches are bit bothersome..if you have other frames captured a few seconds after this one those branches may be gone?

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much everyone. Your comments are well received, I had been trying to keep up with this moose traveling over the marshy land, not easy when you subject has legs nearly six foot long! If I had had the time I would have reset the camera, but I managed this and about four other shots (on high speed) and this was by far the clearest shot I could get in this area.
    I appreciate it is a bit cluttered but I thought it portrayed the moose in this very wet area quite well. About2 seconds after this he was gone.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Always nice to see a moose and beautiful fall colors with nice warm light hitting parts here. These guys do like to hang out in the deep brush around rivers and marshy areas. I think you did well given the circumstances and it shows the moose in its habitat. Good sense of movement from the frame too.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the colours in the BG and the action with the splashing of the water, but unfortunately having the moose in the shadow has hurt to the overall feel of the shot. One for the 'nearly' folder for me.

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon i really like the overall image in terms of color , setting and action created by the Moose bull . Comp does work well too . Fully understand the situation you have been in .... just firing a couple of shots hoping to catch the action , so i think you did quite well .
    I have to agree that the SS is not enough for freezing the action , i think the image is not pin sharp , but i might be wrong.
    From the tonal POV i think the contrast is a wee bit too strong and you could open up the darks a fraction more . Sharpness does look quite strong to me in parts .

Still like the image a lot , though .

TFS Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much Rachel Mike Andreas, your observations and comments are always eagerly awaited.