Thread: Too Close for Comfort

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Too Close for Comfort

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

Thought I'd share another Puff Adder image while busy doing an RP on my previous cheetah frame. As the title says, this beauty did get a bit too close for comfort. I plan to compile a story sequence that will include the next (and last) image taken on this occasion. Which is when I dropped my gear on the sand and dashed to safety! The Nikon guys in Johannesburg were not so impressed when I sent my equipment for cleaning, usually they have to deal with a dust bunny or two. They actually found a few grains of sand in my D5...No damage done so I am pleased to say I got my gear back in tip top condition, not sure it was worth the risk though, you be the judge

Shooting this Puffy was great fun though. I believe there was little risk involved in the process, even though the shoot did not occur under controlled conditions. I wasn't that close (was shooting with a 500mm lens) and Puffies are not that aggressive IMO. I do admit I could not help this tingling feeling in my spine when she suddenly headed towards me. I did not know how fast she would move but I wanted this shot badly so kept my composure for as long as I could...

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 mm F4
    ISO 2000
    F18
    1/1600s

Have a wonderful week ahead, thank you all so much for viewing and feedback on my images, much appreciated as always.
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Gabriela for me this is so good !!!!!!!
    Love everything within this capture , stunning low POV , head on , curved body and for sure you are very brave .

Just two things i might consider ..... a bit more Oomph to the head and the yellows .....a tiny bit too yellow for me , i might change the hue a fraction .

Just my thoughts .....wonderful frame , enjoyed watching a lot .

TFS yours Boetie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

something like this .....WDYT ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas, will certainly look at those yellows and add more oomph:)

This was taken at about h170 pm, what crazy golden light that afternoon...Well, just about every afternoon...

I will do an RP tomorrow when back from work, so glad you liked this - I do have more for you And other snakes and some scorpions too.

Sleep well, have a super day tomorrow,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice, I like it! Nice subtle changes, thank you so much! I take it no need for RP
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was not there (fortunately!), but for me the OP seems to better capture the desert light. The RP has more contrast and pop, but a Puff Adder head on is more than enough pop for me.
    Douglas Bolt
    DougBoltPhotography.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, you have a terrific series of images of this subject and folks are in for a treat.

When I originally saw this, I felt there was too much OOF body on the RHS and it needed more 'negative' space to the LHS to help balance things, but it can work both ways. I like Andreas's RP as there is more definition & clarity, but I wonder if the sand in the OP is better and adds more separation. Well done in the techs and goes to show you needed f/18, perhaps even f/22, some might have just gone to f/8, so top marks. Low POV is just so right here with perfect eye level contact. You should be very pleased with yourself in getting these captures.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

Thank you from the heart for kind words and advice! Glad to say this trip provided opportunities for me to photograph other species, usually it's just lions, hyenas, jackals and leopards

I too like Andreas's RP. Will see how I can improve this frame, worth another look. Cannot wait to share more...

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - This is the stuff of nightmares! Again, better you than me. It is a beautiful image though. Great low pov and dof. I like seeing the curve of the body too and having the tongue out adds immensely. I do like the additional details and clarity of Andreas' rp but the slightly warmer tones/colors of your op.

TFS,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, I take my hat off to you, I am not sure just how keen I would have been to take this image myself, it may not be that fast but I am not sure how fast I would have been if I had slipped trying to get out of the way!!
    I think this is outstanding, I love the low angle and head on view. If you take a good look at the eyes it reminds me of Hissing Sid the snake. I don't mind the rest of the body showing, it emphasises the girth, they are pretty substantial reptiles.
    Just for info .....regarding the head I tried a very simple adjustment lowering the brightness just a little and boosting contrast slightly, I left the rest of the image as is.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 03-14-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

u take a good look at the eyes it reminds me of Hissing Sid the snake
    Jon, that's a British link that I doubt many would know - along with Timid Toad, Reckless Rat, Artful Owl and Batty Bat.

Cheers
    Capt Beaky

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ticks all the boxes here for me Gabriela! the low and direct in your face tongue out POV, great use of DOF @ f/18, good overall techs & quality, gorgeous light and colour also.

And personally both OP and RP work for me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Rachel, Jon, and...Capt Beaky

The best thing that happened to me since I got back on BPN is, I am having fun and smiling every evening when I get to my computer. Enjoying our exchanges tremendously and I have found my lust for photography again. This message to thank everyone for the warm welcome as well as for chipping in with comments, suggestions and RP's - it means so much to me

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

14. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Marc, very kind words, much appreciated:)
    Gabriela Plesea

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, I love all snakes and this is a fabulous capture. I have only been able to photograph captive Puff Adders before...what a thrill it must have been to see and photograph it in the wild. Can't wait to see what other snakes you have to post :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Andrew,

Indeed a thrill to have such opportunity, I guess it was worth baking in the sun to get a few shots.

I have images of a Cape Cobra taken in very harsh lighting conditions, it might need a bit of work. As soon as I manage to process a few I will be happy to share:)

Have a wonderful day,
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 03-15-2017 at 09:05 AM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, a spectacular image, great low POV, golden light, the HA with that bifid tongue sticking out really make this image a classic! Well done in keeping your calm and getting this shot!!!!
    Cheers,
    Sanjeev

19. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hmmm.i'd question your sanity dearest Gabby,but for the fact that given the chance and a bit more specific knowledge ,i'd probably have been besides you,not sure about dropping my gear though,meh i'm fast enough when I want to be I guess some of us are jst drawn to snakes,where as others probably more normal folks it has to be said ,have the flight response more cemented in their psyche

Seriously though Gabby this is one tremendously special image I adore it,much to ponder on DOF of late,this is a sublime choice for me tongue flick too. Ahh Gabbyproper awesomeness here ,beyond your bravery,one has to see the shot,then execute,all done so well.

Gabby Puff adders another that those books of africa taught me about as a child. I find them amongst the most beautiful of snakes,but i've never really seen one captured like this.

For me mate it just ticks all the boxes,I 'll just run expletives at you because I like the shot so much.
    Brilliant mate,no BS straight from the heart stuff, brilliant. I have seen alot of amazing shots here incredible use of light,incredible animals some I know some new. Every now and then an image is shown that I know i'll remember for eons ,this is one of those very few at the top for me .

still might question your sanity though

Cor what a treat Gabby thank you for sharing this made my weekend

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Sanjeev and Stu!

Stu, so glad you liked this...Questioning my sanity is what others do all the time I just feel one with nature and in all truth I am more afraid of people than of wild animals. The more time I spend in the wilderness the happier and more fulfilled I am

Have a beautiful day,
    Gabriela Plesea