Thread: Northern Saw Whet

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Northern Saw Whet

Attached Images Attached Images

I finally was able to get a decent picture of one this week, not perfect, I had one little opening of mostly unobstructed view, would love to have got its little feet in there. I had to shoot at f/16 to get the whole thing sharp, i was about 4 ft away zoomed out to 263 with my Canon 100-400 ll. I tried some at 100, but the background became too cluttered looking, even with the lens more open. Hand held, 1/160th, 4000 iso, Canon 7D ll, Lightroom, also had to use photo shop to remove a pesky pine needle from in front of its face.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great clear shot of this little guy, or at least most of him. I've never even managed to see one, much less photograph one. I'm not sure the vignetting does anything for the image.

3. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Great clear shot of this little guy, or at least most of him. I've never even managed to see one, much less photograph one. I'm not sure the vignetting does anything for the image.
    I have seen a few, always buried in the sticks though. the best way to find them is to look down. if you see what looks like spilled white paint, then look up I am not sure the vignetting does anything for the image either

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Any sighting of this species is a special one. You were lucky to get an opening - many times none are available! Considering the conditions you were faced with, this is likely the best you could have done. Is that the correct ISO?

6. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Any sighting of this species is a special one. You were lucky to get an opening - many times none are available! Considering the conditions you were faced with, this is likely the best you could have done. Is that the correct ISO?
    Hi, just saw this reply now, I have been busy. Yes, correct ISO, but I put in the wrong camera, I used my 6D for this pic, since it was so dark, for better image quality at high ISO. I did not need the better autofocus, reach, or speed of the 7 for this one.