Thread: Lioness - head shot

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lioness - head shot

Attached Images Attached Images

Still away, but thought I might post something in keeping with some of the Lion & Cheetah head shots.

I just wanted to emphasis the stare, so for me, the clip ears are not an issue, likewise the light was bright, but retained some minimal content in the highlights which are not blown.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Lioness (Panthera leo) stalking
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/7.1 ISO2500
    Original format: Portrait, minimal crop, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC & PSCC2017

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve you achieved what you wanted to get , so well done .
    Crop works well , likewise all other aspects like detail, colors and tones .A very well separated subject from a very pleasing BG .Love the clarity in the eye and the detail in the darker tones .
    Having the lighting in mind .... i might expect to have the mid tones at least a tiny bit darker , the subject does look a tiny bit too even( balanced) in terms of tonal variation. Just my thoughts .

I remember you saying about tight portraits .....DOF must be over the full range ...., so i would say in an ideal world it would be preferable to have more DOF .
    I am surprised to see the whiskers sharp and the flies on the bridge of the nose unsharp , i would get the idea that the lens is front focussing , but i know you have your kit calibrated !!! So why is the DOF fading off so quickly at F 7,1 if the FP point was bang on the eye ?

Forgive me the technical peeping .... just being interested how you see this ....

TFS Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Smashing detail in that eye Steve, as well as colours. The frame tells the story about this great agile creature, an animal full of spirit and without enemies (set aside man, of course).

As you know, I really like close-ups. And especially lion portraits. Wonderful expression and intent you have captured here, love the focus.
    This is right down my alley, Sir

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, no problem, perhaps f/9, but the biggest 'bug' bear was the MK2 was way off on calibration and so at times I was trying to Micro adjust in the field, never ideal. The first body was way off, the second a bit better, but both were address PDQ and have been spot on ever since.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela, however you have been posting some excellent portraits since returning back.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Here shooting the shaded side of the face worked to your advantage with excellent detail and soft tones. I might even crop down from the top to the base of the right ear (back ear as viewed) to balance it a little more and the added benefit of eliminating the brightest specular highlights at the top of the frame.

TFS,
    Rachel