Thread: Sora

Hybrid View

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sora

Attached Images Attached Images

Found this smallish rail last month in Florida in a freshwater marsh preserve. These are secretive birds and this one was no exception. We could not have asked for better timing as we were leaving the marsh, and the sun was just below the trees, I happened to glance into a small low area where we had gotten a quick glance of him before as he scampered up the embankment into the brush. There he was getting a drink and a quick bath. This is one of those times I had made the lucky choice of having the 80 - 400mm. Not being encumbered with the big glass and tripod over my shoulder, made it easier to catch a few frames before he retreated quickly up the embankment and out of sight. A lifer for me. C&C welcome.

D4S, Nikon 80 - 400mm @ 400mm, 1/200, f 7.1, ISO 1600, HH.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Geoffrey, congrats on the lifer. Most time these rails are buried in vegetation, very fortunate to find it in the open. I like how the vegetation on both sides of the bird frame and draw attention to the bird. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats on the lifer, I still have not got one out in the open like this. Would love see this from a lower angle, but good luck having the subject stay still for that!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congratulations, Geoffrey. Hard enough just to see these secretive little guys; even tougher to get a clear image of one. Given his location in a depressed pool, lower POV was not an option. Nice light and detail. A fine capture under the circumstances.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have never seen one before, my first impression was is this some kind of rail - so I am glad I was right! I can well imagine how secretive they are so well done right place right time and ready.
    I am not really in a position to offer criticism on the colours, I may well be wrong but is the image just a little underexposed??

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats Geoffrey. I really like this, and the POV suits me, as it shows of the reflection. Nice detail on the bird, and the surroundings show off the habitat well.

Will

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone. Jonathan, the original file was a tad darker, but this is the degree of light we had.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu