Thread: Surfing seal

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Surfing seal

Name:  seal-splash-1-nov-17BPN.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  390.6 KB

This months theme has come 1 month too early for me - hoping to get underwater again soon, but for now, heres a seal from late last year.

At the Donna Nook site there had been some heavy rain and some water channels had formed. This male quickly realised the easiest way of getting to his destination was simply to slide down the shallow water. I've got to be honest it looked great fun!

A very overcast day, so the light was flat and the layout of the area prevents from getting the light angles I'd prefer, but the seals have to come first.

Canon 1dx
    500mm f4is
    ISO 3200
    1/2000th f4.5

Mike

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Mike,
    You really nailed this, IMO.

Great framing, love the splash, love those rich colours, tonality is superb. So is the pose!

Well processed, nice techs, I like this as presented. I can just imagine the fun you had watching this, would love to go there some day:)

A pleasure to view - do you have more on your website, I must have a look in the morning

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike - Sorry about it being a month too early but one can't help but smile when looking at this image. Love the curl of the pushed water. Nice tones and the shallow dof works well here. Overall, well done.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike ...this is lovely , and a typical Donna scene in terms of color . I much prefer the Donna environment compared to " my" location on Helgoland .
    The disadvantage of Donna are the restrictions you have there .

Here the wave created by the bull makes it for me , love the symmetry he created .Image does look good on all counts , lovely color and tones .Nice clarity and the comp does look well too.
    I would have loved to get a lower shooting angle ....but hey difficult to get at Donna since the restrictions , so not ideal breaker knowing the place .

Nice work Mike
    TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Hello Mike,
    You really nailed this, IMO.

Great framing, love the splash, love those rich colours, tonality is superb. So is the pose!

Well processed, nice techs, I like this as presented. I can just imagine the fun you had watching this, would love to go there some day:)

A pleasure to view - do you have more on your website, I must have a look in the morning

Kind regards,
    Thanks for the comments Gabi, much appreciated as always. It's a pretty impressive place in autumn, but unfortunately due to photographers / member of the publics antics over the years the site is pretty lacking now photographically. However, since they put the restrictions on, the numbers of pups has risen, so the work is obviously paying off.

Not too sure anything we have in England can compare to the locations you have access to, but if you do get over, I'll happily show you the place!

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Mike - Sorry about it being a month too early but one can't help but smile when looking at this image. Love the curl of the pushed water. Nice tones and the shallow dof works well here. Overall, well done.

TFS,
    Rachel
    Thanks for that Rachel - I must remember to update you with my future plans so you can set the themes accordingly!

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Mike ...this is lovely , and a typical Donna scene in terms of color . I much prefer the Donna environment compared to " my" location on Helgoland .
    The disadvantage of Donna are the restrictions you have there .

Here the wave created by the bull makes it for me , love the symmetry he created .Image does look good on all counts , lovely color and tones .Nice clarity and the comp does look well too.
    I would have loved to get a lower shooting angle ....but hey difficult to get at Donna since the restrictions , so not ideal breaker knowing the place .

Mike
    Nice work Mike
    TFS Andreas

Cheers Andreas, funny you say you like Donna Nook - every time I see your ground level shots at Helgoland I feel a pang of jealousy! Might try a couple of days in Norfolk sometime this year which may be better - and hoping to get them underwater as well if the visibility is good. Fingers crossed for that one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike i have been to Donna with no restrictions , meaning it was accepted to go across the mudflats and go to the beach , and there the conditions are wonderful !!!!!
    A lot wider than Helgoland .....and the yellow/orange sand does look more appealing than the grayish/yellowish of Helgoland . On Helgoland you have a ton of man made elements in the BG ....no matter where you point the camera at .
    But since the beach ban i have not been to Donna .....and will not go there again .
    I think the same stuff will come to Helgoland as i heard about that about plans and a boardwalk is already build .......... the start of restrictions .

As far as i have heard there are restrictions in Norfolk too.

Cheers Andreas