Thank You Posts

Default Western Sandpiper

Name:  31397943644_879251b897_b.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  120.5 KB
    Canon 7D, EF 400mm f/5.6L
    1/1250 | f/5.6 | ISO 320
    Panama Flats, Victoria BC

I was shooting a small group of Western sandpipers handheld while laying down. This was taken last spring, but I thought it might be useful to get some critique now that I can try to put to use this upcoming spring when the sandpipers migrate through again.

I appreciate any input!

Thanks,
    Thomas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

love the low angle, good details and pose. sharp. I'd clone out the specular reflection on the mud and also clone out the small stump and its reflection

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

3. Thanks Thomas Barbin thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the low angle and perfect reflection. Good light and colours. I'd be OK with a bit more room below, but this is one strong shorebird image!

5. Thanks Thomas Barbin thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Arash. These are things I wouldn't have thought to do otherwise!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Daniel! I'll have to double check on Lightroom to be sure, but I think I do have some extra room below the reflection to play with.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with all said above. Nice shorebird image. My only critique would be that I think the background and your bird is a little over saturated. Western Sandpipers in breeding plumage are not such a deep orange like this. Did you play with the reflection of the bird at all? It seems just too good to me. Too perfect without a single ripple in any of the water. That is the best reflection I have ever seen if it is natural. Also I think the shot could use a little counter clockwise rotation.

9. Thanks Thomas Barbin thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Isaac. The reflection has not been altered in any way (other than noise reduction), it was just a small puddle so the water was very still. I've been going back and forth with the saturation. To me it looks too saturated as well, but when I decrease the saturation I notice very little change in the colour. I think I'll have to play with the saturation for the individual colours and see how that turns out. I'm relatively colour blind so I appreciate the comment on the saturation. Saturation and white balance I struggle with a bit, so it is always good to get input on them! The rotation is another thing I've played with a bit in this image. I think how it is now the image is level, but the sloped mud makes it look tilted. I appreciate your input!

Thomas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Thomas. Just came back and looked at your image again after reading your comments. Decided to see if my impression of level was correct so I imported it into PS. Depending on where I checked level it was off from .6 to 1.1. I used the .6 as level as it was the least counter clockwise rotation.

Also removed the strong red/yellow cast to the image. To me this is a much better representation of what a breeding plumaged Western Sandpiper looks like in beautiful morning/evening light.

And I LOVE and I mean LOVE the reflection. So **** cool! I'll say it again. That is the best reflection I have seen!!! Such a nice image.

12. Thanks Thomas Barbin thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again Isaac! If you don't mind, I'd like to use your re-edit as a template for when I find some time to re-edit the photo. I have a hard time with colours and your edit will be really helpful for me to see where I was over doing it and what needed to be toned down.

Thomas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don't mind at all. I would tell you exactly what I did to remove the cast but honestly don't remember. Processed a bunch of images since then.