Thread: Great Blue Heron

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Blue Heron

Attached Images Attached Images

Had the great pleasure of meeting Joseph Przybyla and his lovely wife Dottie at Gatorland while in Florida. We spent a few hours together. Lighting conditions were far from optimal while we were there. I was just thrilled to be there as it took time away from being forced to go to Universal Studios . This Great Blue Heron was posing on the boardwalk near the northern edge of the boardwalk. It was really dark behind the bird and was hardly any light back there. As soon as I saw this bird standing where it was I thought that this was the perfect situation to have an almost black background. Bird was still so I used a slow shutter speed.

Canon 1dx and Canon 500 f4 ii. Tripod mounted. ISO 1600, F7.1, SS 1/1250

Straight out of camera I had an almost black background. In DPP I upped the shadows plus 2 to get better exposure on the bird. Brought the background back down in PS but left just a hint of the background. I have some different crops of this bird where I cropped off part of his back but those beautiful back feathers were just too nice to remove.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you, Isaac, it was great to get together and photograph the same birds. I know this heron, nice image. Dottie and I are going to Gatorland tomorrow. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loving that dark BG. Nice feather detail and HA on the bird. Very nice frame Isaac, I would have liked to have seen the legs, and maybe sharpen the head a little.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is why I mentioned the crop William. If I went lower and showed the legs then you would have seen the post the bird was standing on and the boardwalk as well which I wanted to avoid. I think it might be better balanced by taking some off of the back and cropping from there but then you lose the beautiful plumes in the back. So I left as is. Head and eye look pretty sharp on my screen. Also on my flickr page but have a slightly different finer and more fluffed up texture to them that I think is coming across as it being softer. But I will revisit to be sure. Thanks for the suggestions.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nie portrait Issac, I'd like to see the feet or else I'd crop tighter and go with a vertical frame , more like a head shot, looks like he had some eye infection?
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the input Arash. Would you crop some of the back off like this or just tighter. I felt from the beginning that this type of crop was better but as explained like the back plumes so much that left it as originally presented. Not sure about the eye. Just some dark mark but not sure what was the deal with it. Also never saw the other side of the bird to see if it was on the other eye as well.