Thread: Kalahari Magic

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kalahari Magic

Attached Images Attached Images

The Kalahari and its undulating landscape is truly sacred to me and I admit to have arrived there earlier this year filled with expectations. On the very first night I lit a big fire and sat in silence watching the red flames, listening to jackals wailing off into the desert. I kept wondering why was I so filled with love for this place, and why did I keep thinking I must find a way to live there, when it was clearly not possible? Why let myself seduced by something as small as putting up a tent in a different country? I admit I have had - for some time now - an intense longing to spend my life there. I realise I must now start exploring different places, but I still find myself anchoring emotions to this semi-desert that keeps giving me so much pleasure. The Kalahari is to me temperamentally a logical fit, for everything in this place fits my personality. Or so I like to think.

Please forgive my introduction, I guess it has not much to do with the image I am going to share - just my thoughts as I am about to show you this simple image of a cheetah crossing my path. Critique welcome as always, I anticipate you might wish for more DOF but in all honesty things happened too fast and I had no chance to change settings. When I managed to do so it was a little too late as she turned away to chase a secretary bird. I have never seen grass so tall in the Kalahari, the recent rains changed everything. Maybe this is why I like this place, it is never the same. My greatest desire is to spend so much time there, that one day I will wish to remain in bed instead getting up at 4 in the morning and driving around. Or just miss my home. I guess it will never happen?

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300 mm F4
    ISO 500
    F6.3
    1/2500s
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - I will admit that before I read your intro, my first thought was I would prefer a bit more dof and you had sufficient ss so you could have dropped it slightly and stopped down a bit more. We've all been there though when we get the initial shot and then go to change the settings and the animal doesn't cooperate. Better to get an image than miss the opportunity completely. I like the soft colors and blowing grasses and you know how much I like negative space, but I would trim some off the lhs. It's a bit too much negative space even for me. Looking forward to seeing more from your favorite place.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The shallow-ish dof works for me here because it is just right for the grasses IMO. I'm with Rachel about the negative space, but with your beautiful writing style this creates a perfect spot to add a worded reflection of sorts....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dearest Rachel and Daniel,

So kind of you both to give me feedback on this, thank you:)

To give you more info, this cheetah was calling from time to time and moving erratically through the tall grasses, changing direction unpredictably - probably looking for a sibling. I really wanted to retain that soft BG so I was careful not to increase the DOF unnecessarily. I guess when I did so was too late. I do have a number of frames with better DOF but the HA isn't quite right. This is one image that appealed to me, imperfect as it is. During processing I considered cropping more from the bottom but I decided to allow for the tall grass instead. I admit it never occurred to me to take off from the LHS. Although I do trust your judgement, I just cannot bring myself to do so. Let us wait a while and see what the others say, I need some convincing

Warmest regards to you both,
    Gabriela Plesea

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela i am not that much deep bonded to the Kalahari as yourself ....but understand how you feel as far as another person can understand .....you always talk so grateful about this place
    I share some of your emotions ....but i am not going that far .

Untypical Kalahari Cheetah shot i think , but hey it does look good to me .
    I do agree with yourself critique and i think i do agree regarding the too extended LHS .I think you did well with the overall frame.
    TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Andreas,
    Thank you so much for your thoughts. I really like the expression you used:"( I ) always talk so grateful about this place". And glad you do not mind the negative space because I am a little stubborn about it.

And yes, not a typical Kalahari shot. But like I said, the place is never the same. It is as moody as a difficult lover and keeps attracting me for many years like an unknown world would. It is filled with secrets that need to be explored, and makes me feel I have not lived enough until I saw everything:)

Have a lovely evening Boetie,
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela - I think Andreas was agreeing with Dan and me about the negative space ("the too extended LHS") but could be wrong

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, get back in here and clarify things, will you
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The soft light and Kalahari grass are enhancing this lovely portrait here Gabriela and I'm fine with the DOF, just would prefer a tad less LH space, no big deal really and an easy fix should you wish.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Marc,

I am smiling from ear to ear, as you all gang up on me about the negative space:)

Cannot tell you how happy I am to be back, I have missed this

Will look into it

Have a wonderful evening Marc,
    Gabriela Plesea

12. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

And we're all very glad to have you back Gabriela, your kind words and insights into this wildlife forum are truly appreciated.

Wishing you great sightings and more wonderful narratives throughout 2017.

14. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Marc, I will do my best
    Gabriela Plesea

16. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela,

DoF and the space looks spot on, my only thought would be to add a Luminosity mask just to bring a tad more depth of colour back in.
    Good to have you now as a Wildlife Mod too.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela to clear things ......... the dead space is a tiny bit TOO LARGE for my liking .Sorry that i did not stated it clearer in my comment .

BTW congrats for climbing the family ladder of BPN , i think you are the right person for that job . I am a bit disappointed that i do not get the chance , as i am way longer in business than you . Sorry i am just kidding .
    All the best

Yours Boetie with the grey socks

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much dear Steve,

It is a great honour and privilege to join you, Rachel and Morkel as moderator in the Wildlife Forum.

As to my cheetah image, I was hoping to have your approval in terms of what we call "negative space". For some reason I just could not bring myself to crop further from the LHS.

And I will certainly look into your suggestion regarding Luminosity mask, the more I look at this the more I think it could do with a bit more "oomph".

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Gabriela to clear things ......... the dead space is a tiny bit TOO LARGE for my liking .Sorry that i did not stated it clearer in my comment .

BTW congrats for climbing the family ladder of BPN , i think you are the right person for that job . I am a bit disappointed that i do not get the chance , as i am way longer in business than you . Sorry i am just kidding .
    All the best

Yours Boetie with the grey socks
    Thank you dear Boetie for clarification. Eh, and I really thought you were on my side for a moment But as you know - I always have, and always will - respect your opinion. Just stubborn sometimes, and only when something feels right to me.

Regarding my appointment, or "climbing the family ladder" I am certain the Grey socked Man is happy for his African sister:) BPN has been my family for some years now and I feel at home here. I am ecstatic to have this opportunity, and I hope to entertain you with my stories and images for many years to come.

Hope you have a wonderful evening Andreas,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes he is certainly very very happy for his sister ......!!!!!..... no question and you should know that without my wording!!!!!!
    And a lot other folks will share my thoughts regarding you !!!!, maybe not in the same way as i do , as i know you a bit better !!!

Cheers Andreas

22. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post