Thread: Florida Scrub Jay

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Florida Scrub Jay

Attached Images Attached Images

My wife's cousin lives a mile from a Scrub Jay preserve in Sebastian Florida. Perfect spot to escape to for a few minutes between family obligations and even better when I saw a brief break in the clouds. They recently did a controlled burn and the habitat has opened up quite a bit since I was last there 2 years ago.

Canon 1DX and Canon 500 f4 ii. ISO 800, F8, SS 1/1600. Shot in Manual with evaluative metering. Tripod mounted. Cropped about 30% and shot as vertical.

Converted in DPP 4.5. In PS I sharpened and applied NR to background. Also cloned out a band that was on the birds leg.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful capture, Isaac. I'm envious of this image simply because we went looking for the Scrub Jay on our recent trip to Fl. and found it only to have a terrible angle with the sun at its side. We tried our best to get the sun behind us but of course he took off not to be seen by us again. This is an excellent pose an a very nice perch, and what a great BG. Love the detail and the head turn.

Geoffrey

http://http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu
    Last edited by Geoffrey Montagu; 03-02-2017 at 10:26 PM.

3. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not that you would know to ask me but I know a few 100% guaranteed spots for them. Got extra lucky with the burn that opened up the habitat. But it is growing back quickly already as new growth was already sprouting all over the place. Left lots of great and open spots for them. The spot in Sebastian is not a spot that anyone would know to go to. It is literally a mile away and is a small property that was bought by a woman who has since passed away but she left money for its upkeep. You didn't get them at Merritt Island? They are abundant there along the main north south road but especially right at the entrance booth where you pay. Problem is that it is thick scrub so not scenic.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Not that you would know to ask me but I know a few 100% guaranteed spots for them. Got extra lucky with the burn that opened up the habitat. But it is growing back quickly already as new growth was already sprouting all over the place. Left lots of great and open spots for them. The spot in Sebastian is not a spot that anyone would know to go to. It is literally a mile away and is a small property that was bought by a woman who has since passed away but she left money for its upkeep. You didn't get them at Merritt Island? They are abundant there along the main north south road but especially right at the entrance booth where you pay. Problem is that it is thick scrub so not scenic.
    We did see the Scrub Jay on Merritt Island. There was thick scrub, but an open path with many decent potential perches. Next time.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

wow, perfect pose, light perch and background, very nice!

7. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice like the pose and background.

9. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac,
    Nice details and love the backwards look. Great background too. Well done.
    Allen

11. Thanks Isaac Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice work getting this guy. Good look-back pose and BG. We were not so lucky. A Refuge volunteer directed us to a spot he said was the best place to find them, but we only managed to see one, and under poor conditions.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thats a bummer Bill. But hey now you have something to look forward to for the next trip right . I got really good looks on this trip of Snail Kites. But the light was awful and the birds were too far out. Got some great poses and shots of them picking up snails but image quality is not up to par cause they are all big crops. Next time I go they are #1 on my list to get.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice bg good pose

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Everything perfect. Love the erect posture and the sweet BKGR.
    a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.