Thread: Elephant Reflection

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Elephant Reflection

Attached Images Attached Images

I'll start us off with March's theme of images with water in any form. Remember it can be the ocean, a river, a puddle, rain, snow, ice, etc. Early morning in the Timbavati Game Reserve, South Africa. The elephant herd made a brief stop at the waterhole but apparently it wasn't to their liking. They quickly moved on, some without drinking at all. This was one of the trailing elephants and I was able to isolate it. The ripples in the water are from another elephant off to the left. I wish the water had been still to complete the reflection but it wasn't meant to be.

Canon 5D3
    70-200 II @ 142mm
    1/350
    f5.6
    ISO 1600
    Beanbag from safari vehicle, slight crop for comp, levels, curves, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel -- Nice and simple frame with the reflection of the Elephant clearly visible, definitely, complete stillness in the water would have been better but this also works . I liked the details in the subject and the sense of environment included in the frame, though on the other i wished more separation of the elephant from the BKG , especially the area underneath its head,i.e. between the trunk and the fore leg, but nothing could have been done about it .

TFS !

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel good looking reflection of the elephant , like the soft colors and the detail/texture in the hide of the elephant .
    Overall the image does not grab that much , i think the overall lighting and the washed out , very pale sky is not looking that great. For sure nothing you could have done about it.
    Sorry Rachel ...TFS

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, I feel I'm in agreement with Andreas albeit, viewing on the laptop. I would look at adding a Luminosity layer as it brings a lot more tonal depth to the image and reduces the 'thinness' of the capture.

TFS
    Steve

7. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys. I'll take a look at the suggestions.