Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/1000
    Av (Aperture Value) 9.0
    Exposure Compensation 0.333333
    ISO Speed 5000
    All C&C welcome

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, the framing I feel isn't ideal and like Rachel's posting, it's not really grabbing me as an image.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon good see a colorful youngster of the Bisons , they are so funny to look at .
    I think the crop is not ideal as you need more space at the foot and less at the top , shooting angle is also not ideal i think . But this could be down to the location that it was not possible to go lower , you should know. BTW if you would gone down with your butt...........sit in the dirt or even lying on your belly ,if the old bones allow this .

AS posted the image does look too processed for my liking, wonder what you have done. This is really off on all counts for me , sorry Jon just being honest .Had a look at your Bull finch in Avian , that frame is very nicely processed and it is the way to go .There you have all the nice fine detail / stunning color / great tonality ....what is required here too .

Why are they looking sooooooo different ?

TFS Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - Unfortunately, I have to agree about the pp here. I know they call young bisons "red doggies" but the reds seem too strong here. The reds can be seen in the grasses too which in my experience are more generally more yellow and pale, although I have not been in YNP in the fall when you were there. The blacks are a bit choked. I would try reprocessing the image with a softer hand.

TFS,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the feedback, I have to agree with your comments/assessments. The problem I was faced with was one that had been common to many of my Yellowstone images, i.e. they were a bit flat and lacking in depth/tonal separation.
    I made several variants using TK Panel and some using Nik Filters (yes Andreas I still use occasionally - sorry!) I also used luminosity masks to identify differing areas and applied curves in varying degrees. I think really I should have adopted the "less is more approach".
    Here I attach the original file, this is processed in a very similar manner to the female bullfinch posted the same day. I processed in DPP and then using TK masks I lifted the D4 darks to provide a little more detail.
    I think you will see why I wasn't eager to spend too much time on my hands an knees to get a lower vantage point!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon understand that it was difficult to get a different shooting angle .
    What i meant with my thoughts regarding the Bullfinch ...was that you can produce fine details .... but you cannot treat every image the same .
    Look at the RP ...blacks does look too strong and you lost detail in them .This is giving also the 3/4 tones a contrasty look ... too much i think . It does not help to open up in PS , as i think the " mistake " is made in DPP where you set the base , or you use NIK .....not my friends .But this could be just me ....
    Just look at your histogram of your posting ....i attached it ....no wonder that you have those blacks .....

Not sure what yourself think about this ..

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, something obviously wrong here, I went back to the raw file and looked at the Gamma, it was up the creek!! I also note I used Fine Detail as opposed to Standard, too much messing about I think!! Not sure exactly what I was playing at but obviously wasn't watching!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan -- Nothing much for me to say here except tht i fully agree with the above and including yours that you tried too many things in processing which i also have faced in PP work . TFS !