Thread: Robo-Reddish?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Robo-Reddish?

Attached Images Attached Images

I had been wading in San Carlos Bay, and was working my way back toward the beach just as the sun was setting, when I saw this guy headed toward me from the left. I stopped and set the tripod, and he kept coming in my direction, then veered and did 3/4 of a circle around me, keeping at a frame-filling distance from me the whole time. I noticed the antenna protruding from his back, and in my end-of-a-long-day stupor I fantasized that someone on the beach was controlling him with a joystick, playing games with me. I assume some agency is tracking him; perhaps someone in SW Florida will know his story.

D500, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 800, 1/3200s @ f/7.1 manual. Stretched canvas a bit on bottom and right. Briefly considered removing the TC but didn't want to miss the moment, or drop it into the bay.
    Last edited by Bill Dix; 02-20-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here he is without the antenna.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Bill, lovely Reddish Egret. Wonderful late evening light, love the raised foot and intense stare searching for food. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I prefer with the plume. Very nice running pose. Image quality looks great. As with the little blue shot I find this a little dark.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    I prefer with the plume. Very nice running pose. Image quality looks great. As with the little blue shot I find this a little dark.
    Funny thing:I photographed the same bird 6 days earlier, and at the time, I did think that was a plume, or errant feather. But on close inspection, it is a twisted metal wire, with some sort of bulb-like shape where it is attached to the bird. I thought about brightening the image, but this is how it appeared to me in the last rays of sunlight.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice light on this Reddish. These "drones" are around from time to time: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ret?highlight=. Yours isn't banded on the right leg, so it's a different bird than I captured last year at Ding Darling. The Friends of Ding Darling are doing a study on their flight patterns, so I wonder if your egret came up from Sanibel.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Rowell View Post
    Very nice light on this Reddish. These "drones" are around from time to time: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ret?highlight=. Yours isn't banded on the right leg, so it's a different bird than I captured last year at Ding Darling. The Friends of Ding Darling are doing a study on their flight patterns, so I wonder if your egret came up from Sanibel.
    Thanks John. Now that you mention it, I remember your capture from last year. "My" bird has a band on the left leg, which looks very similar to the band on the right leg of yours. Perhaps it is part of the Ding Darling study, since this was captured right across the bay at Bunche Beach. Here's the link to the NWRS site: https://www.fws.gov/refuges/news/red...rling_nwr.html

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac, for what it's worth, here he is a bit brighter. Maybe it is a little better after all. WDYT?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like it more for sure.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the foot splashing across the surface of the water...how cool is that! Great light. I do prefer without the antenna. Very strong image Bill!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is a beautiful image Bill. The light is wonderful and the pose with raised foot and water splashing dynamic. I like the second version with the exposure raised a bit.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose, he's still here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again everyone. Nice to know he's still around.