Thread: Hide and Seek

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hide and Seek

Attached Images Attached Images

Cheetah cubs playing hide and seek in the presence of danger. There were lions in the distance and Mom was busy looking at the lions while the cubs playing their hide and seek game.

1DX II
    500f4 II
    1/800
    F4
    ISO-6400
    AV, +1/3 EV
    Bean bag over safari vehicle
    Cropped to about 50% of FF

I have to say this is my first decent image at ISO-6400. For small posting, it looks OK to me, but at 100%, there is clearly noise in the cheetah, which I don't do anything with. Only applied NR to the BG.

Thank you for your comments.

Loi

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Loi - Another cute interaction and I love that we can see the cub's eyes. This does look good at this size though the blacks seem to be slightly choked. Nice separation of the subjects from the bg and the comp works well.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Loi - Another cute interaction and I love that we can see the cub's eyes. This does look good at this size though the blacks seem to be slightly choked. Nice separation of the subjects from the bg and the comp works well.

TFS,
    Rachel
    thanks Rachel. The Black being choked probably due to me applying Curves (slight S curves) in PS. Loi

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Loi -- I think you had great time with the Cheetahs , another lovely moment here , liked the crop as well . I can still see some noise in the BKG and probably because of a big crop some IQ is affected and the finer details are somewhat lost.

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Loi, I really like the capture, with the in coming cub on the left with outstretch front paws and the other cub mainly hidden, but with a nice gaze to camera, and with a BKG that hasn't any distracting elements.

However... and it's a real shame, but cropping by 50% has dropped the IQ even at this stage (although perhaps the RAW could be improved with some careful tweaks in PP and some more refined NR), but why not bolt on the 1.4 and raise the ISO? Here you could have gone to 12,800 or even 16k if required, yes the image if correctly exposed would have some noise, but the subjects would be sharper through a faster SS and the IQ would not have suffered through cropping. You have the best kit Canon produces at present (1DX MKII & 5DMKIV & lenses) that enables you to capture these types of images, just have faith, trust me, if not ask Andreas, Jon Ashton or Mike Poole about pushing ISO and their thoughts.

I would lookout for any Open days with Canon EOS and book one, yes it will cover stuff you know, but it may also bolster what these new camera bodies are designed to do - capture images at higher ISO's.

Loi, you are posting some lovely stuff and I just get so passionate when I just see so much potential and how hard you have worked over the years.

Well enough from me, I'm off for the next three weeks so over to other folk, but I might just swing by where possible, but please keep posting, you had a great trip it appears.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, had I put on the 1.4X, I'd have probably cut off the tail! I hear what you are preaching about ISO-10000 or more, but personally I just haven't got any shots worth keeping at that high ISO. Suggestion for Open Days is appreciated. I can always learn. Loi

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cropped to about 50% of FF
    Steve, had I put on the 1.4X, I'd have probably cut off the tail!
    How????

If you cropped the original by around 50% I cannot see how you would have cropped the tail of by adding the 1.4, as you would have less to the RHS perhaps, just reframe in camera surely???? I would guess you would have been about at the right distance and enough comfort zone not to stress the family. Techs aside Loi, I think you also have to think about where you place the vehicle for shooting which also plays a factor in choice of kit, you were either too far away with the straight 500 (hence cropping), or as I said, about right with adding 1.4x.

I just haven't got any shots worth keeping at that high ISO.
    I wonder why, I would process and print, as I think your screen might give you the impression rather than a true indication. I just printed Jonathan's Moose image after processing it - BIG difference, again ask his advice.

Cheers
    Steve - from Vancouver

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Loi lovely interaction of the Cheetahs , the cub facing the camera is priceless and making the image work .
    I see where Steve is coming from and i would agree with him on all counts .
    Picking up Rachelīs thoughts regarding the blacks , i do agree too.
    The noise is even visible clearly at this size ....in the BG , easy fix with the right piece of software .
    Why are you applying curves globally ?

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Loi lovely interaction of the Cheetahs , the cub facing the camera is priceless and making the image work .
    I see where Steve is coming from and i would agree with him on all counts .
    Picking up Rachelīs thoughts regarding the blacks , i do agree too.
    The noise is even visible clearly at this size ....in the BG , easy fix with the right piece of software .
    Why are you applying curves globally ?

TFS Andreas
    I see the choked black now as Rachel pointed out. I normally don't use Curves much, but just wanted to try this time. Even with no crop, when you see the image at 100%, the lack of fine details is clear. So cropping or not is not the main issue. When I have super sharp image, cropping 50% is no problem and I have a print at 24x36 in on my wall with no issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i like it, the three are all in a different pose, but for me it works well.

greetings eric