Thread: Monkey Business !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Monkey Business !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Everyone !

I had a great time in the jungles of Pench, where a group rhesus macaques were doing what they do the best. It was all backlighting in the scene but playing with the rim lighting was quite fun actually.

DPP 4.5, CS6, curves,levels,colorbalance,selective colour,sharpening, FF .

Canon 5D MK III, Canon 500mm f4 IS II with 2x T.C. (III),Bean Bag.

1/250 sec; f/9; ISO 1000 ( that should have been higher but luckily i got away with the ss in this case ).

All your C&C's are most welcome.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice scene here. You handled the shadow well. Back lit is tough and I'm not an expert at it by any means, but to my eyes, the highlight seems a bit too bright. Loi

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - As you know, I like to experiment with backlighting/rim lighting. This is a tough one because, due to the interaction between the macaques you need to have enough light and detail to see the interaction. I often like to underexpose and emphasize the rim lighting but that probably wouldn't have worked here because of the interaction and intersection of the subjects. Unfortunately, I do think the areas of bright and blown highlights are a bit too big/dominant here. I would try to tame them especially in the fg. Good to see you experimenting in the field.

TFS,
    Rachel

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, you did very well both in terms of the lighting conditions but also the techs too.

I don't have an issue with the highlights, for me it conveys the scene and if you go for reducing them, then the Dark/Shadow ares will suffer meaning you might have to 'lift' the image creating noise, but at a 1000 you would have been OK I feel. They may not be as strong as portrayed, depending on how the image was processed as you may be able to address key areas? I'm 50/50 on the circular highlights, but you could crop them out. Good call on the DoF shooting more open would have highlighted them even more.

I quite like the interaction, but wished the last subject did not have his/her head turned away. A bit more below would have been good.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Rachel, Loi and Steve !
    I also find the highlights especially in the FG not at all distracting because they ar e actually part of the back-lit scene and for me are complementing nicely to the rim lighting on the monkeys.
    Yes, i too was 50/50 regarding the circular highlights but went for the option of not cropping it .
    Agreed, i would have loved more space at the bottom of the frame. I have that third monkey looking towards the other two but then at that point of time the above interaction was not taking place , will share more from the series .

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shoat Haseeb,I would certainly try to reduce the brightest highlights (several ways possible in DPP), I think I would merge the large highlights top left. Love the faces and fur.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb lovely behavior shot of that grooming action.
    Very difficult ..if not impossible to get this done in one frame without loosing tone on one end of the tonal range .
    You have lovely details in the shadows .... so you lost the HL .... i think they are borderline of being acceptable , for my taste .
    And for sure not recoverable as Jon was mentioning .
    It would have been nicer to have the one on the left looking to the right ..... but he did not , no big deal for me.
    Nice one from the behavior POV .

TFS Andreas

10. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post