Thread: Flying Great Gray Owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Flying Great Gray Owl

Attached Images Attached Images

I did not get too many good opportunities to catch these birds in flight as they were quite often far out. Here is my favorite shot of one in flight. Other than swooping by us it never once flew towards us or looked at us at all while it was actively hunting. Snow had let up here a little as compared to my previous shot.

Canon 1dx and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4xiii. Tripod mounted. ISO 2500, f 6.3, SS 1/1600.

Converted wit DPP 4.5. In PS I added a little canvas all around. Sharpened and applied NR to bird and background. Hope you like it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac this looks excellent the curves of the wings and all that lovely feather detail even to it's talons,great job.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a very nice GGO flight shot that is almost a great shot but not quite IMHO. I like the similar colour palette between owl and background showing the winter environment. The image is nice and sharp and the eye is well captured and stands out with the only splash of vibrant colour which draws me right to it. My biggest issue is just the far wing position and the intersection with the owls head. The position of the wing makes it look quite large and distracts from the image. Still, I'd give away my spare 1DX for an image like this and more so for an opportunity with one of these owls which I've never seen in the wild.

TFS
    Geoff

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Newhouse View Post
    This is a very nice GGO flight shot that is almost a great shot but not quite IMHO. I like the similar colour palette between owl and background showing the winter environment. The image is nice and sharp and the eye is well captured and stands out with the only splash of vibrant colour which draws me right to it. My biggest issue is just the far wing position and the intersection with the owls head. The position of the wing makes it look quite large and distracts from the image. Still, I'd give away my spare 1DX for an image like this and more so for an opportunity with one of these owls which I've never seen in the wild.

TFS
    Geoff
    Agree that the outer wing position is not ideal but still an excellent capture. IQ is high and focus tack sharp. Bg works showing the cold winter environment without distracting. The eyes draw me in. Well done.