Thread: Great Egret

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Egret

Attached Images Attached Images

Yesterday morning Dottie and I went to the rookery at Gatorland in Orlando, Florida. The Great Egrets are there in numbers, they seem to be the first to arrive. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm (600mm FFE FOV)
    1/2000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV -1 ISO 180 AWB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC 2017
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful white detail on this handsome bird in breeding plumage. You might want to try a touch of selective sharpening on the tip of the bill.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Beautiful white detail on this handsome bird in breeding plumage. You might want to try a touch of selective sharpening on the tip of the bill.
    Hi Bill, thank you for viewing and commenting. I have added selective sharpening to the tip of the bill. I posted it to see what other eyes might say. Guess it is destined to the trash bin. Here is one very similar, same bird and light, just a different pose. This one I think has the bill sharp all the way to the tip.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

lovely portrait

6. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, I prefer the second image because it's square on to the sensor, the OP needed more DoF, not sharpening, it was too shallow. I feel you can get more tonal depth from around the eye and up to the yellow of the bill. I would look at a small Curves adjustment to temper the whites so more detail/definition comes through. Are the techs the same?

TFS
    Steve

8. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, I prefer the second image because it's square on to the sensor, the OP needed more DoF, not sharpening, it was too shallow. I feel you can get more tonal depth from around the eye and up to the yellow of the bill. I would look at a small Curves adjustment to temper the whites so more detail/definition comes through. Are the techs the same?

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, I knew it was depth of field making the tip of the bill soft. I was working with only about 1 inch (2.5 cm) for a depth of field. The bird moved it's head. Your suggestions have been applied to the image. Regarding the techs... not the same in post processing. I work up each image individually.
    Joe Przybyla