Thread: Willow Tree and Barn...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Willow Tree and Barn...

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Guys

A little more effort was put into this image than the last two.. I hope it is apparent.. This is an old farm barn about 50Km away from my new house, I have been wanting to photograph this barn in good light for some time. So when I left home to drive to this spot the light was overcast and I thought 'worth a drive maybe'. By the time I got there of course the light had completely changed... Curse of the landscape Photog... So, This is a pretty typical scene this time of year in my new surrounds. Grass is scorched, animals are being fed with grain in the most, sweat comes easily, light is usually v Harsh. I need to go back one evening..

Canon 1D4 & 24 to 70 F2.8 series 1 at 51mm. (New house.. Same old gear)
    100 sec at F14 ISO 160. tripod and cable release.
    ACR & CS6.

This is full width but a little cut off the bottom to 16:9 format for composition purposes.

Don

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, I can see why you wanted to photograph this farm scene...the beautiful greens of the willow draw us in nicely...I look forward to seeing this same scene in various lighting conditions as you revisit it over time :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, All the elements are here for a nice image the barn anchors the bottom of the image and the hill has a nice sweep to it and the trees are wonderful. Now all you need is some nice light to take it over the top. One suggestion on the comp would be to lose a bit of the grass at the bottom.
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andrew and Don.. I will persist and make another attempt, probably with evening light... Don I agree with a little too much FG grass, I think maybe half could go..

DON

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don - A very pleasant scene with the rolling hills and the green willows. For me, the barn is a little lost. I'd like to see some closer or using a zoom if it's not possible to get closer. Looking forward to seeing your experiments with different light.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for commenting Rachel.. I was aiming to show the barn in its surrounds, but I also agree with you that the barn and tree could make an image in themselves. Something else to contemplate in my next visit...

regards

DON

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lots of potential here. The willow and the barn are great but just a bit too much context for my liking. Draw us into the main components a bit more.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Colin...