Thread: Yellow Head Blackbird

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yellow Head Blackbird

Attached Images Attached Images

I shot this with Canon 5D Mark 111 AV 5.6 Shutter 1250 ISO 1250 300 2.8 2x teleconverter handheld.Processed in Dpp4 Photoshop patch tool to remove some small white wash,levels ,sharpening C&C welcome.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kevin, nice pose on this shot and BG also, either you're way over exposed or you have to much vibrance... you've lost all the detail
    in your yellows in the chest area and the details on the end of your perch.

-Tim

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yellow Head Black Bird

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Tim for the comments. I have since reworked this in several forms from minus 1.5 /2.25 stops.Even at minus 2.25 stops the yellows are still 254,255,24 on the histogram. I am sure they would still be to high just like a white with those numbers. I know histograms are not always accurate. But at minus 2.25 I have no information in the fifth box. I think if I went any lower I was all the way down to the 3rd box.When I used auto levels I think it lightened up the photo even more. Part of the problem with the first edit was at some time ago I had processed this in the past and had used the color slider to increase the yellows and that was some of the problem.In Dpp4 this shows no highlights on the yellows but in the shadow slider it is highlighted. Even with the slider all the way to the right set at 5. About half the black on the bird is highlighted. Does that mean the shadows are under exposed. Or is that not important because it is black? Am I losing detail in the blacks?I think this is some what better but not as good as it could be.Do you not want any highlights on either shadow or the highlight sliders And if you move a slider say all the way to a setting of 5 to recover does that hurt the photo?Thanks for your time.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevin Hice View Post
    Thanks Tim for the comments. I have since reworked this in several forms from minus 1.5 /2.25 stops.Even at minus 2.25 stops the yellows are still 254,255,24 on the histogram. I am sure they would still be to high just like a white with those numbers. I know histograms are not always accurate. But at minus 2.25 I have no information in the fifth box. I think if I went any lower I was all the way down to the 3rd box.When I used auto levels I think it lightened up the photo even more. Part of the problem with the first edit was at some time ago I had processed this in the past and had used the color slider to increase the yellows and that was some of the problem.In Dpp4 this shows no highlights on the yellows but in the shadow slider it is highlighted. Even with the slider all the way to the right set at 5. About half the black on the bird is highlighted. Does that mean the shadows are under exposed. Or is that not important because it is black? Am I losing detail in the blacks?I think this is some what better but not as good as it could be.Do you not want any highlights on either shadow or the highlight sliders And if you move a slider say all the way to a setting of 5 to recover does that hurt the photo?Thanks for your time.
    Kevin, this version looks a lot better, you have brought back detail in the perch and also the chest area, unfortunatly I don't use DPP for processing and I'm not familiar with the settings.
    If you can go into curves and drag the far left up just a bit and the far right down just a bit, I'm talking very slightly you will only effect extreme darks and extreme Lights while maintaing the
    look of your original image that way you won't have any solid whites or blacks. I hope this helps.

-Tim

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Tim I will try on another version I actually did another one after this and I think it is even better.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Kevin, the second image looks much better. I am having a similar problem with moving files from LR to the website. On my computer, everything is nice and sharp, but once I've moved them over, they don't have the same sharpness. Please pass on anything you learn. I do like the perch and environment on your photos.