Thread: Snow Buntings

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Snow Buntings

Name:  256A2587-XL.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  214.6 KB

I went on a search for snow buntings here in VT this morning and actually found 3 flocks in widely separate areas. I took a bunch of pictures, including BIF and static shots, but decided on posting this one that was a bit of a combination of both. Challenging conditions this morning as it was about 6 degrees with a wind chill probably in the negative teens. I wasn't real fast on changing my settings for flight/non-flight because of the temp and wearing mittens. I think this may have been a bit better if I could have bumped up the shutter speed, but I was just not fast enough with the mittens on. 5D4 with 100-400 IS2. 400, 1/640, f 9.0, ISO 100. Levels adjust and sharpening. Cropped to about 1/8 as I just could not get close enough to these birds without them flying. Always moving and pretty flighty.
    Last edited by Michael Foster; 02-10-2017 at 08:01 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Michael, I like this type of natural setting shot. It would be nice if you could get close enough to have most of the birds facing you instead of running or flying away. Maybe use a hide of some sorts. Keep at it, that's the only way I know to do it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Michael, I like the colors/patterns that you have here showing the buntings winter plumage and how it works with the environment.
    The exposure looks fine, the only thing that could have been better is the direction the birds were moving. Nice job, this is something we don't see
    out here in Southern California.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Michael I think you have done very well with this considering what looks like very bright light;i'm looking at the shadows,I know the birds are facing in different directions but it's good to see all the different poses,very good natural history shot and well done working in those chilly conditions.

Keith.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Michael I really like this . I have done the same kind of shot . Yes it would be nice to get the birds flying at you. I don't know how to accomplish this.
    A blind won't work as too hard to predict where they will be . Constantly moving up and down the road.