Thread: Bohemian Waxwing

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bohemian Waxwing

Name:  BohemianWaxwing-38-170204-X2.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  332.7 KB

Well I decided to bite the bullet and submit a photo here. I'm a bit intimidated by the great photographers here, but have the desire to learn. I was in North Conway NH yesterday and was searching out some Bohemian Waxwings that had been reported there and lucked out and found a flock of over 200. I snapped hundreds of photos, trying to alter my settings to fit what I was trying to capture. It was pretty frenzied as there were so many and I had to discipline myself to find a subject and focus on getting a good photo of that. It was about 15 degrees with a light wind, so pretty cold. I had mittens on because of the cold, but they allow me to snap shots and make camera adjustments, and I can fold back the fingers to have half gloves when needed.

I just acquired a 5d mark iv after a bunch of research and getting advice on the boards here. I don't have big glass yet, and am using the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS. This photo was taken at 400mm, 1/1250, f 5.6, ISO 320. I had the camera on Tv mode to be able to control the shutter speed knowing that the camera would probably shoot wide open. I could have used manual, but it probably would not have changed the settings unless I wanted to go for a better depth of field. I tend to keep the camera in auto ISO for all my photography just to make getting a good exposure easier for me. (I consider myself just a bit better than novice). The image was cropped about 40% and post processed in Lightroom adjusting the highlights, whites shadows and blacks to suit my eye and sharpening to about 70 with about the same level of masking for the sharpening. I boosted the luminance a bit as well.

I think the image is OK, but wonder what the experts will say. I'm totally open to criticism as I know that I have much to learn. I am just starting to feel a bit comfortable with the body, but it is a pretty big change from my 70D.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Michael ,the angle you have taken the shot at and the branches across the bird have not helped you,but on a more positive note the bird itself which can be a bit difficult to get right looks really good to me ,nice and sharp on the bird and the berries especially the one that the bird is catching,feather detail and colours look very good to me.I'm sure there are more on here will give you excellent tips and advice.
    This is a great forum Michael with some excellent photographers but don't feel intimidated .

Keith.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Michael , I am no expert but agree with Keith the colors look great . The branch intersecting the body hurts the composition. I know it can be difficult to get the subject in the open. I Think the sky is to blue . I also have the Mark iv great choice.Looks sharp and great capture on the crab apple.I think you did well for a first submission. And yes some great Photographers on here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Michael, welcome to the forum I agree with ever ones comments, it's not that the sky is to blue it the hue that's off it's almost turquoise.
    This can be adjusted during post.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for all the help. I did get a ton of pictures of the waxwings and decided on posting this one because of the action and getting the birds tongue in the shot, which I liked. I think maybe the sky color may have been off due to post processing. I did bump up the vibrance to 29 and it really was not needed in this picture. I went back and reset the vibrance to as shot, and the sky did look much better. I'll have to keep an eye on what adjusting the vibrance does to the whole pic.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice action shot Michael. I have several pics of Waxwings as well, but nothing with this kind of action. I have never been able to get a pic of one without branches all around as well. Keep sending in pics as we're all learning here. I look forward to seeing what you have next.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Micheal, I think you were right on the cusp for SS, you had plenty of ISO at your disposal and so I might have thought more towards 1/2500 SS, as ISO, the the 1DX's isn't an issue, however you are at +1EV so SS will have dropped, you want to freeze the action, but not have a SS too slow, creating a soft RAW.

The image in terms of colour isn't bad, but, IMHO you cranked up the Blue in Saturation and over cooked things, I think because if you drop the Blue, colours get back to a good working platform. Once you have this, then you can adjust things accordingly. Just watch your whites, ensure Highlight alert is enabled and look for Blinkies in the Histogram, you will then know if there are any blown highlights. Having this enabled and reading the Histogram will ensure a well exposed file, ETTR is the way to go, more data to the right without clipping is what you want. The more data/info the better the file.