Thread: Fire in the sky...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fire in the sky...

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Guys,

just another sunset shot taken from my front porch...I had my camera set up with my 500 F4 and a 1.4 converter when this sunset started to display. I knew it would be gone in less than a minutes so I blazed away with the big tele and stitched about 4 images together to make this image.. There was smoke in the sky from a bushfire not too far away. Don't like bushfires but they can provide lots of colour in the sky...

1D4 & 500 F4 & 1.4 converter
    1/250 sec at F5.6, ISO 2000

Camera handheld, image is a stitch of 4 cropped for composition. Converted in ACR, stitched in CS6.

DON

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don, quite the display in the sky and nice work with the stitching and crop...I expect we will get to see many gorgeous sunsets from your front porch in the future Do hope the bush fire was far enough away from your home for safety reasons.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

All good Andrew, and thanks for the comments... I spend money buying a couple of 1000L tanks and a fire pump and hose.. Once you have done that the fires don't get even close to you (I hope..). Not sure about doing a lot of sunsets tho, i think I will try a bit harder than the last two efforts..

DON

Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Don, Love the color in the sky but I find the but I find the trees a bit busy would have loved it if you have isolated a single tree
    Don Lacy
    You don't take a photograph, you make it - Ansel Adams
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs - Ansel Adams
    http://www.witnessnature.net/
    https://500px.com/lacy

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lacy View Post
    hi Don, Love the color in the sky but I find the but I find the trees a bit busy would have loved it if you have isolated a single tree

Hi Don

It is only a single tree but I think I understand what you are saying. I have deleted already the bottom two stitches because I thought "too much negative space", I think you are suggesting I go a bit further and also remove the isolated element in lower RH corner..

BPN Viewer
    Thank You Posts

Nice work.
    Red sky: A bit of saturation etc? or fairly natural?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Amanda.. Yes it does look a bit saturated but here is one of the stitched images with all the settings in ACR at the default settings (0) ie no fiddling by me for comparison. So, yes its close to natural for bushfire skys, but it was enhanced slightly though.... Also remember that the image is a very small section of the sky and the smoke does filter out some light, apparently not much red though.. Thanks for commenting, nice to have new voices.