Thread: Buying a new telephoto zoom lens – Tamron or Sigma?

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Buying a new telephoto zoom lens – Tamron or Sigma?

Hello there.

As I already mentioned in my introductory post, I currently own a Canon EOS 80d with a basic 18 to 140 mm lens. Right now I'm thinking about buying a telephoto zoom lens. I found a Sigma and Tamron 150-600 mm lens suitable for my camera. I guess this would be a perfect fit. But I don't know which one to buy. The Tamron is a bit more expensive then the Sigma. So does anybody here own one of the above lenses and can give me some advice?

I know both lenses are quit pricey. So I searched some websites for classified adds and found some cheap ones for sale online. Is it advisable to by a used lens or should I get a new one? Are there some common pitfalls to avoid?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Paula.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Morning Paula,

I have owned the Tamron 150-600mm original version since it first came out. It had served me nicely until I spent the big money on a prime Canon lens.

I really enjoyed using that lens and was very happy with the photos that I took with it. I feel that this lens is fine for birds that are not moving. But the moment you decide to try photographing birds in flight, you will quickly learn that it has slow autofocus.

Good luck,
    Marlo

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Which Sigma 150-600mm are you considering? The Contemporary goes for around $1,000 and the Sport version is $2,000, so it makes a significant difference. If you are considering the Sport as an option then I would suggest also considering the Canon 100-400mm IS II, and add a 1.4x III converter when you have a chance. I would take that combo over any of the 150-600mm lenses any day. If you bought the lens and teleconverter used you could get both for right around $2,000.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is an article that covers them all
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...spx?News=19903

5. Thanks Jerry van Dijk thanked for this post
    BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Edwards View Post
    Here is an article that covers them all
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...spx?News=19903
    Thanks for the link!

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan von Linden View Post
    Which Sigma 150-600mm are you considering?
    I was thinking about the Contemporary.

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Griffin View Post
    Hello there.

As I already mentioned in my introductory post, I currently own a Canon EOS 80d with a basic 18 to 140 mm lens. Right now I'm thinking about buying a telephoto zoom lens. I found a Sigma and Tamron 150-600 mm lens suitable for my camera. I guess this would be a perfect fit. But I don't know which one to buy. The Tamron is a bit more expensive then the Sigma. So does anybody here own one of the above lenses and can give me some advice?

I know both lenses are quit pricey. So I searched some websites for classified adds (http://www.cheap.forsale/telephoto-lens-150-600mm) and found some cheap ones for sale online. Is it advisable to by a used lens or should I get a new one? Are there some common pitfalls to avoid?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Paula.
    After I gave it some thought, I finally decided on the Sigma Contemporary.