Thread: Hackberry Emperor

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hackberry Emperor

Attached Images Attached Images

This butterfly perches in trees above the ground. I found this one perched on Spanish Moss hanging down from a branch. Impossible to get any separation between the butterfly and the background, so it is what it is. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VR AF-S ED shot at 300mm (450mm FFE)
    1/500 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 250 AWB
    Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC 2017
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beautiful specimen giving you a nice pose. Very good sharpness on the butterfly and I like the diagonal of your subject. I'm wondering if the whole image could be just a bit darker? What do you think? You might also consider cropping a bit from the left and bottom - to get the subject a little off center. Very nicely done!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Maxson View Post
    A beautiful specimen giving you a nice pose. Very good sharpness on the butterfly and I like the diagonal of your subject. I'm wondering if the whole image could be just a bit darker? What do you think? You might also consider cropping a bit from the left and bottom - to get the subject a little off center. Very nicely done!
    Hi Steve, thank you for viewing and commenting. Here is an edit and repost slightly darker (0.30) and putting the butterfly a little off center as you suggested.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the repost is an improvement, Joe - though it's a subtle, subjective thing and others may disagree. Either way, this is a strong image!

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Seems you had a lot of fun with all those butterflies! I like the repost. Just to add some tweaks for further improvement: I'd add a little contrast/clarity to this image and run a lens correction to remove the blue chromatic aberration around the white spots on the wings. I'd also try some selective sharpening on the antennae, which seem just OOF.

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jo a lovely butterfly, I think the image is overexposed , the repost show the white spots are clipped.
    Perhaps worthwhile checking in the processing did you use the lens correction feature? I am not familiar with the grass but is it really that pale? I would also consider reducing the yellows a little but after checking the lens correction.

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post