Thread: Wawing UK: Bombycilla garrulus

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Wawing UK: Bombycilla garrulus

Attached Images Attached Images

For me a very special bird. i've known about this mystical thing called a "waxwing winter" here since childhood. Now it's called an irruption it seems,but "waxwing winter" holds magic for me: this happens when the birds over in EU run short with the berry crop so are forced west to our little island in search of food As a tiny thing these exotic birds and their story only visiting occassionally completely captivated me.I bbut that yearned for and longed for sighting never came.

A few years back we had a good year,they were even featured on local TV,but still missed them. This year has been really good they are featuring on our local fora on TV but try as I might even in rain freezing fog could we catch up with some,no chance. Trips to exotic places like supermarket carparks (they love rowen oft planted here in this type of car parks) and other wonderful venues like industrial estates all drawing wet cold blanks. Urban areas seem to hold the berry crop longer than more rural sites where our natives will have pillaged the crop,so waxwings are more likely seen at this sort of site

Finally the perseverance paid off the awful weather forecast didn't stop us and lo and behold it was actually a lovely day. The birds were beyond my expectations bold stunning with an amazing crest that just makes me smile. They even throw berries in the air when feeding and catch. Males feed females and pairs seem to groom each other,it is very very difficult to express how thrilled I am to have finally just seen some But to spend time watching and making images really has been so special,I never really thought this would ever happen to me,this bird all but mythical now to this old guy.

So my first waxwing image as framed ie no crop processed in DPP4 can't access PS yet

Canon 1div 300f2.8is extiii

1/2000
    f5.6
    iso2500

Many thanks for the previous help and guidance

happy days

Stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done getting this Stu,very nice pose and good head angle,bird does look a bit soft maybe a bit of sharping would help especially around the eye, but after saying that they are a fine feathered bird that can be hard to get right .

Keith.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking good Stu, just needs more selective sharpening as Keith pointed out. Each posting is another advancement, keep them coming Stu.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks both. Lads, I feel that this is as far as I can now get in dpp, with regards to sharpening,I believe you , just a bit of selective will get me nearer to the mark. Keith being my first time with them assessing feather is tricky for me. But I have a bucket full of images,i'll study this facet and see if there is more detail in others. They were incredibly kind, when on my own getting close was resonably straight forwards.
    at this site especially while they were feeding

Steve ,there will be more,my biggest problem is going to be sorting out the very very best,Keith's note will help hopefully as it's another facet to muse. Getting a good bkg was an incredible challenge.I think steps forwards and back yet my friend,but what is heart warming is the hit rate in the field is improving. Steve make no mistake this was very special for me,i've have been happy just to see, but to come back with some images and a bucketful to ponder is beyond my wildest dreams.

If HA can be improved any nit detail in bird,it's worthy of mention,I had time with this one, it was just us I think??? I have lots similar and must be very picky and thorough sorting.

thanks for the thoughts both,hope you are both good

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, I love the pose and the colours you got on the bird. Nice HA as well. I know how difficult it is to get a decent BG with these birds, as I have been photographing them recently, but, great birds to photograph.

Nice one mate

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by William Dickson View Post
    Hi Stu, I love the pose and the colours you got on the bird. Nice HA as well. I know how difficult it is to get a decent BG with these birds, as I have been photographing them recently, but, great birds to photograph.

Nice one mate

Will
    Thank you Will,I was gifted a breathtaking chance Will, I'm so thrilled. I don't know that much yet about this game,but do know how lucky I have just been

Will,these birds and the urban the urban settings they are oft found in have provided me with some of the strangest bkgs i've seen in my pictures ,every colour in the rainbow springs to mind. Fortuitously I was able to follow then not only where they fed,but roost, drinking, preening sites as well. the latter were a godsend in finding a more natural BKG. I feel I have better in this dept,but am completely overwhelmed at the moment by the experience,so have barely evaluated what I have.

Mate all the luck with yours I can't wait to see your images of them,I've admired your images for a long time now Will, I know they'll inspire me

many thanks

Stu