Thread: Catching the Red-Eye

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Catching the Red-Eye

Attached Images Attached Images

This juvenile Western Grebe was swimming and diving in and out of the sunlight. I was able to get several good pics, but this one is the best showing both eyes.

1DX, 500 f4L w/1.4x, 1/2000 @ f7.1, ISO 800, 60% of original, and pp in LR5 (NR on bg and other minor adjustments)

Thank you in advance for any C&C.

Greg

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The over all photo is soft Greg not very sharp at least on my monitor. I know what you were trying to accomplish with the eyes. I know on here every one is concerned with head angle . I don't know enough when other angles are OK. Are we always looking for all head angles to be parallel to the sensor . Are there times when you can deviate?The noise reduction looks good . I sort of hate to critique some one's photos when I have so much to learn.Keep posting photos hopefully we will learn.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Greg, love what you were going for but unfortunately the image is soft, try bumping up the f stop, lowering the SS to about 1000
    and adjust ISO accordingly. I recommend back button focus that way you can focus on the head and recompose the shot in frame and shoot with the shutter button.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Kevin and Tim. I guess I need to do some more looking before posting what I think is sharp enough. I do have another photo of the same grebe, but only one eye is showing. I am sure that it is sharper but doesn't have the same look. I will post it in the next day or so to see what you guys think.