Thread: Green Heron

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Green Heron

I took this shot of the green heron along a creek near my home in May of 2016. The image was taken hand held with Canon 7d Mark II and EF 400mm f5.6L. Shutter speed 1/1000th second, aperture f 8, ISO 400, and evaluative metering. Only minor processing work done with DPP4, cropping, exposure, saturation.

Name:  GN8A8508.8.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  346.0 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just too busy with the extra stick below the perch,the bark peeling coming into the frame from the right behind the bird and the foliage just off the bill. The birds head could also use another round of sharpening. Cool pose on the bird with the eye and head plumage.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose with the raised crest, and the hint of habitat is a nice touch too. Yes, the lower branch along the bottom edge is unfortunate, and could be removed if you are OK with that type of image processing. I do like all the other branches at left. The greens look to be too saturated and glowing - reducing the yellow channel there may work well. The head does look soft - it appears that the critical focus was around the wing area, try to keep the active focus point on the eye, or as close to it as you can. Looks like it was a fun opportunity!

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you gentlemen for your input; I appreciate it and your points are well taken. I do not do any removal work with software, not opposed to it just do not enjoy the processing thing much. I have several other versions of this that are cropped differently without that branch- not because I noticed it so thanks for pointing that out. I looked at this again and did just a bit of sharpening on the head and it is better! It is great to have some honest and constructive criticism.

5. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Matthew. Glad to see that you're receptive to critique; that's the best way I know to become a better photographer. The only thing I might add to what the others have said is that the image appears oversaturated on my monitor. Look forward to seeing more of your images.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px