Thread: Does this work?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Does this work?

Caught a picture of this little diving duck down in a dark canal, but there was a little light coming through in places, with some hitting the bird.

Name:  untitled-144.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  149.1 KB

Sony A77ii, Tamron 150-600, 460mm at f6.3, 1/2000 at ISO800

Now normally this would be considered underexposed, but are there times that you can leave pics a bit in the dark and still get an interesting-to-view shot? If this was your shot, what might you have done different either in terms of capture or in post-processing?

Just curious if anyone thinks this shot works in any way for them.

Thanks for your thoughts and any C&C.

Andrew
    Last edited by Andrew Harrell; 01-25-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andrew, image seems to be a little soft, but I see what you're going for. I like it I might just sharpen it a bit more.

-Tim

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andrew I like the light the way it is falling on the bird. But also it is soft especially on the head where it matters.Interesting picture at first I thought you used some flash.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andrew this type of dark image especially bkg,with light falling on and illuminating one's chosen subject is something I find incredibly appealing. So yes definitely the shot works for me. Andrew there was another little grebe posted in avian some time back,sadly I can't remember whose work it was,but that frame stayed with me it was very special .I wish I could link it to you as for me it so illustrated the potential you have seen and caught here. Andrew I'd have gone for a bit more below your little friend pushing the bird up a bit, dark as it is there are traces of reflection running towards us, having more of them I feel would add to your frame ...almost lead the eye to the bird.

But yes in answer to your question it works for me ,nice one fella

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just a note - grebes are not ducks!
    "It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera... they are made with the eye, heart, and head." - Henri Cartier Bresson

Please visit me on the web at http://kerryperkinsphotography.com