Thread: Quail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Quail

Attached Images Attached Images

Technically, this is a bird, but I thought this was more fit for the macro forum. I was struck by the patterns on some quail eggs I got, so I experimented a little with egg photography. I used a large white sheet of paper as a background to create a high key effect. Since this is an experiment, I'm happy to get any feedback.
    Nikon D7000, 200mm f/4 Micro, tripod, remote w. MUP, ISO-100, f/11, 2.5 sec., +2EV. BG lit with LED torch.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry. All the technical aspects look good (sharpness, lighting, comp) and the image shows the interesting markings on the egg. I'm wondering how this might look with a different background - say a light blue or green. Might that be an improvement? - or not. A matter of taste, I expect.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, I've made images with a black BG as well. Those are more conventional, I was trying something new here with the high key approach. If I get around to processing again (term just ended, so loads of grading to do), I'll post one with a black BG.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely executed, I think the exposure and contrast are spot on. I am guessing you balanced the egg on salt??

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon! Indeed, a small pile of salt, well spotted! I actually hoped it wouldn't be visible at all, but the shadow of the egg gives it away. I refrained from painting in shadow over the salt.